GREEN LANTERN FIRST FLIGH BLU-RAY review

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

GREEN LANTERN FIRST FLIGH BLU-RAY review

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Interesting review as always Mr. Mancini!

I was struck at how you viewed the film as the weakest of the DTV, as I had the exact opposite view: out of all of them, I would say it was the strongest. SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY was far too short and struggled with a major miss-casting of Lois, and NEW FRONTIER I have always felt, in both its comic and film versions, as relying on some very outdated nationalist political rhetoric, relying on a weak communist metaphor as a main villian. the Batman DTV was great, except it (shockingly) managed to make Kevion Conroy as Batman seem out of place given that it was meant to be Bale's younger Batman. As for WONDER WOMAN, actually, it is on par with GREEN LANTERN for me. They may be straight forward, but compared to the flaws (IMHO of course ;) ) they work better as whole finished products then the previous efforts.

No real point to this post, other than to see anyone else's take on the films.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Re: GREEN LANTERN FIRST FLIGH BLU-RAY review

Postby cdouglas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 pm

First of all, good review, Dan!

Ghostbuster, I had a chance to review the DVD version recently, and I also found it to be a very enjoyable effort. That being said, for me it falls just below The New Frontier (the "outdated rhetoric" was due to the fact that the comic and film were designed as homages to the silver age of comics), about on par with Wonder Woman and just above Superman: Doomsday (good, but too much material for a 75-minute film) and Batman: Gotham Knight (some great segments, a couple of real duds). I would also have to agree with Dan that the actual origin sequence in New Frontier was superior to the one seen in First Fligt.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:03 am

Thanks, gents.

Ghostbuster, keep in mind that, while I found First Flight the weakest of the lot, I still gave it a B. I agree with pretty much all of your criticisms of Superman: Doomsday and Batman: Gotham Knight, but, I don't know, First Flight just came off as more generic and nondescript to me. Even the character design looked like TV animation, whereas I thought the others (with the possible excepton of Wonder Woman) had a lot more visual appeal.

And the talking...good lord, the talking. Too much of the flick was like an extended Jedi Temple debate from one of the Star Wars prequels.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 am

Dan Mancini wrote:Thanks, gents.

Ghostbuster, keep in mind that, while I found First Flight the weakest of the lot, I still gave it a B. I agree with pretty much all of your criticisms of Superman: Doomsday and Batman: Gotham Knight, but, I don't know, First Flight just came off as more generic and nondescript to me. Even the character design looked like TV animation, whereas I thought the others (with the possible excepton of Wonder Woman) had a lot more visual appeal.

And the talking...good lord, the talking. Too much of the flick was like an extended Jedi Temple debate from one of the Star Wars prequels.

No no, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't give the film a fair shake or that you hated the film, just that it struck me as a very polar opposite reaction to my own response and worth a further discussion. As for the visual style, I agree compared to NEW FRONTIER and GOTHAM KNIGHT that it is more standard in terms of design. GOTHAM KNIGHT is a stunning visual achievement, no question.

As for the talking, well, I give the film the credit for pausing to flesh out the characters and political ideologies at play, but agree it occassionally went on a bit too much. Not sure it ever quite reached the horrors of the prequel series though ;)

Ghostbuster, I had a chance to review the DVD version recently, and I also found it to be a very enjoyable effort. That being said, for me it falls just below The New Frontier (the "outdated rhetoric" was due to the fact that the comic and film were designed as homages to the silver age of comics), about on par with Wonder Woman and just above Superman: Doomsday (good, but too much material for a 75-minute film) and Batman: Gotham Knight (some great segments, a couple of real duds). I would also have to agree with Dan that the actual origin sequence in New Frontier was superior to the one seen in First Fligt.

While I get the silver age tribute element of the NEW FRONTIER, I found that given the film's attempt to place the heroes within the real political events of the 1950s and 60s, and the shifting perspectives of the Cold War that have come about since its end, the reliance on Soviet Communist threat (real or metaphorical) just seemed to reinforce political propaganda of the era rather than challange it with the complexities of the actual events in which both nations were engaged in an ideological warfare that resulted in a great deal of destruction for both involved. It seems even stranger when considering the film targets Joseph McCarthy and the communist witch hunts for (justified) criticism, but them abandons such complexities for a more simple "commies are a danger" threat. I still dig the hell out of it, I just think it would have done more than the book ultimatly did.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback