Fireproof Blu-ray

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Fireproof Blu-ray

Postby Dave Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:07 am

Hey Joel. Have to take issue with this statement:

Undoubtedly, Christians will hail Fireproof as a great triumph for Christian filmmaking: a glossy looking "blockbuster" of their very own.

As a God-fearing gent myself, I found Fireproof every bit as corny and mediocre as you did (give or take a few points on the scales of justice). And, anecdotally, pretty much everyone else I've talked to who are spiritually like-minded weren't exactly proclaiming Kirk Cameron's name for Oscar contention. I know there is certainly a healthy contingent of Believers that think the movie is the cat's pajamas, but be assured, we are actively praying for them.

Anyway, good review, and I agree with your take, but no need to generalize--Jesus may be our homeboy, but He didn't purge us all of our cinematic sensibilities (though my love for Gymkata and Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style do little to bolster that sentiment).
Dave Johnson
Judge

Re: Fireproof Blu-ray

Postby cdouglas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:17 am

I concur with Dave. Not all of us are fans of Mr. Kendrick's heavy-handed, obvious brand of cinema.

Otherwise, your review is pretty much spot-on. :)
cdouglas
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Glad to see I am not the only Christain who has problems with these films. I will never forget going to Sunday School and being forced to Watch REVELATION II. Oh boy was that bad...
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Joel Pearce » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 am

I only said it because I know groups where I live are having screenings of the film as "bring your heathen friends" evangelism.

Thanks for the feedback, at any rate. Growing up in the church, I remember watching the most horrible films, and having everyone else so excited to see quality Christian entertainment, yet finding it horribly cheesy myself. Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed.
My compulsively purchased collection
Joel Pearce
Judge (Retired)

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:18 pm

Joel Pearce wrote:I only said it because I know groups where I live are having screenings of the film as "bring your heathen friends" evangelism.

Thanks for the feedback, at any rate. Growing up in the church, I remember watching the most horrible films, and having everyone else so excited to see quality Christian entertainment, yet finding it horribly cheesy myself. Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed.

I think the biggest irony of it all is that the Bible is one of the most dramatic, epic collection of narratives there is. And the best out and out Christain filmmakers can come up with is FIREPROOF.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
Joel Pearce wrote:I only said it because I know groups where I live are having screenings of the film as "bring your heathen friends" evangelism.

I think the biggest irony of it all is that the Bible is one of the most dramatic, epic collection of narratives there is. And the best out and out Christain filmmakers can come up with is FIREPROOF.

Don't forget Facing the Giants

"If we WIN! We PRAISE HIM!If we LOSE! We PRAISE HIM!"
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dave Johnson » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Yeah, Facing the Giants was painful.

However, if you're hankering for quality Christian filmmaking take a look at Saving God. Definitely in a league of its own as far as the Bible-based movie orbit goes.

Oh, and Steve, have fun in Hell.
Dave Johnson
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Dave Johnson wrote:Oh, and Steve, have fun in Hell.

He'll have company, and I'm bringing marshmallows.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mhansen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Dave Johnson wrote:Oh, and Steve, have fun in Hell.

He'll have company, and I'm bringing marshmallows.

Well, I'll read the map if one of you will drive the bus.
Melissa
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:00 am

As a Christian, I refuse to see Fireproof. What's the point? When I want to watch an uplifting movie about saving a marriage on the brink, I spin Die Hard. If Kirk Cameron wants my hard-earned dollars, he's gonna have to win his wife back by dropping Alan Rickman off of a tall building. Period.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:20 am

Dan Mancini wrote:As a Christian, I refuse to see Fireproof. What's the point? When I want to watch an uplifting movie about saving a marriage on the brink, I spin Die Hard. If Kirk Cameron wants my hard-earned dollars, he's gonna have to win his wife back by dropping Alan Rickman off of a tall building. Period.

Nobody tell Mancini about the Die Hard sequels!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback