North By Northwest

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

North By Northwest

Postby Movie Mike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:20 pm

The Blu-ray of this movie is superb and it is shocking that many of the classics being released on Blu-ray look so much better than the films being made today and put out in hi-def. Is it how their lit? Film stock? Restoration process?

A couple a questions about the movie itself. Cary Grant denies he is a government agent by the name of George Kaplan, James Mason of course doesn't believe him, yet their plan to kill him is to set up a fake meeting with the "real" George Kaplan. If Grant was George Kaplan why on Earth would he take a bus to the middle of nowhere to meet himself?

Second question: A biplane? Seriously? That has got to be one of the most unruly murder weapons ever implemented (included free of charge is the worst pilot). What makes it awesome is that Hitchcock turns it into one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

North By Northwest still my favorite Hitchcock film.

PS: Great review Judge Douglas.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Re: North By Northwest

Postby cdouglas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks, Movie Mike. :) I really am amazed at how remarkable North by Northwest looks in hi-def.

As for your other points, it's definitely a movie in which the way things happen is far more important than why they happen.
cdouglas
Judge

Re: North By Northwest

Postby Dimwitted » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Going by what I'm seeing, it looks like sheer care in the digitizing process. Either BluRay or plain Jane DVD, it's all about how good they are or how much they care that makes the difference. BR Criterions don't seem to have a really big difference from their DVD counterparts because they are already reference quality. Older digitized films can be upgraded like NbNW has been if the studio is willing but as we've seen from the likes of MGM, they often don't bother. Sad.

It makes you wish that Warner's and Criterion owned all the back catalogues for reissue.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Return to Verdict Feedback