Halloween II

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Halloween II

Postby Movie Mike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

A fair and balanced review, Judge Patrick Bromley. I haven't seen his one good film (Devil's Rejects) but I hated his version of Halloween and his sequel even more. Maybe being forced to do a sequel that he didn't want to in the first place is to blame, but as the last one sucked I can't completely buy that.

The original sequel was no great shakes (Carpenter stepping down from directing to just write) but this version is such a mean spirited attack that I found no entertainment value in at all. *Spoilers* The fact that no one (excluding Brad Dourif) survives this film makes it pretty much a pointless excursion. Laurie Strode wasn't much of heroine in Rob Zombies first Halloween but this time around she is just plain unlikable. Now living with Sheriff Brackett (Dourif) and his daughter Annie, the only other female survivor of the last film, Laurie has turned into a grade "A" whack job and even has a giant picture of Charles Manson over her bed with "We Believe in Charlie" written above it (I'm not sure a law enforcement person would be okay with that in his house). Doctor Loomis (Malcolm McDowell) is raking in tons of cash exploiting the death and carnage of his most famous patient and has basically become a giant douche bag, basically we're is just counting the minutes to his death at the hands of Michael Myers. Speaking of the deaths in this film, well they are brutal, nasty, and gratuitous even for a slasher film. Annie Brackett's murder, aside from her dad she is the only real likable person in the film, was a big "f--- you" to the audience. As for the ending (the Blu-ray rental copy I got only contains the director's cut ending and doesn't include the theatrical) having Laurie take up the mantle of Michael Myers just long enough to get shot fall of holes by the cops was just moronic and not tragic as Rob Zombie tries to explain on the commentary.

I agree with Patrick whole wholeheartedly that Rob Zombie needs to tackle original material from now on.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Re: Halloween II

Postby Mach6 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 am

Amen, Movie Mike. Let me add another critique.

'SPOILERS'

Zombie gave a big "F--- you" in just the 1st 15 minutes when he had the nerve to use the "It's All Just a Dream/Nightmare" garbage. That had to be one of the longest dreams in movie history with tons of POV's & camera angles. This one was even worse than the one Ellen Brody had in Jaws: The Revenge.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:19 am

It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

Moustapha Akad told John Carpenter and Debra Hill that HALLOWEEN 2 would be made with or without them back in the day. They both wrote the sequel under extreme pressure to come up with "SOMETHING", and I read later Carpenter thought the whole sister angle was rather lame of them. And of course legend has it John did reshoots when the finished product looked too tame and not slightly scary.

So funny to see almost three decades later the same drama unfolding with Zombie being told "DO IT or WE WILL DO IT FOR YOU!" I had heard he did want to come up with a way to make sure his characters did not move forward in a sequel, so that was definitely part of the agenda. But yeah, no reason to make us all hate everybody and root for Michael to get them. But of course I was doing that in the first film!

I feel this all suffers from the PHANTOM MENACE syndrome. Like Darth Vader, Michael needs no explanation or justification. Had all the films ended with Carpenter's original it would have worked much better.

Oh yeah, and anybody else notice that random HORSE imagery in the film? Zombie's latest CD is EDUCATED HORSES... coincidence? Nah! He's not very subtle...
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Movie Mike » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 am

Mach6 wrote:Amen, Movie Mike. Let me add another critique.

'SPOILERS'

Zombie gave a big "F--- you" in just the 1st 15 minutes when he had the nerve to use the "It's All Just a Dream/Nightmare" garbage. That had to be one of the longest dreams in movie history with tons of POV's & camera angles. This one was even worse than the one Ellen Brody had in Jaws: The Revenge.

When Laurie fell into a dumpster full of corpses my first thought was, "No way, this is a dream sequence?" But then it kept going on and on to the point where I believed it couldn't be a dream as no director would start a movie this lame. Sadly, I was wrong.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 am

Even as a Halloween fan (hafta see every one even if it's bound to suck), I think the story/acting scores were a little high.....that's it really, we all know how bad it was....This may be the ONLY entry that I will probably not see a second time, it was that frustrating.
It made the Friday the 13th reboot/prequel/whatever look like a masterpiece in comparison.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby munky_funky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 am

I think that everyone posting here is giving too much credit to Carpenter's original. Though Halloween might have been a masterpiece, the second was not. It really didn't offer anything to the original, it was just another way to make more money off the success off of the last. At least Zombie tried to go somewhere new with the sequel. Though I have always loved a lot of Carpenter's films (The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Dark Star, and Escape from New York), one has to realize that he has just as many crappy films (They Live, Escape from L.A, and Prince of Darkness). I think it is time for Zombie's efforts to be recognized for what they are. A true fan's reinterpretation in a new light. That is what a true fan does. Anyone that merely mimics that what came before is merely a corporate hack. Why do it again if its already been done (unless your a corporate hack)?
munky_funky
Law Clerk

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 am

As Brett noted, Carpenter didn't direct Haloween II. He only helped to churn out a script for a movie he didn't really care about. And Escape from L.A. is awesome.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:06 am

Dan Mancini wrote:As Brett noted, Carpenter didn't direct Haloween II. He only helped to churn out a script for a movie he didn't really care about. And Escape from L.A. is awesome.

So is They Live ...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 am

What I love about John Carpenter is he is the first to admit if he thinks one of his movies is not quite up to par. So much so that THE FOG comes with a personal apology. I can't recall where I heard it, but he has expressed a lot of regret that HALLOWEEN 2 was ever made. It's certainly not one of those where I think a remake or reimgagining would hurt anything. I think it's a fun sequel, but no great shakes... and like most slasher continuations, it feels like an afterthought. So I have no issue with anybody touching the source material.

And yeah, he didn't even direct the thing. That honor went to Rick Rosenthal who also misguided the RESURRECTION chapter after H20. That was the one that made people think a reboot or remake was in order. Blech! The only redeeming quality of that one was the death of Tyra Banks.

What a shame that there will be a third installment with Michael returning in 3-D! I had hoped they would redo the SEASON OF THE WITCH in 3-D. That would have been at least a ton of fun to completely rework.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:12 am

BrettCullum wrote:So much so that THE FOG comes with a personal apology.

I need to sit down and have a beer with John. There's no need to apologize. The Fog is awesomesauce. Zombie pirates, Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, John Houseman getting his campfire on, Adrienne Barbeau's cleavage speaking in a sexy radio voice (wait, Barbeau has a head? Seriously? I never noticed). What's to apologize for?
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

I need to sit down and have a beer with John. There's no need to apologize. The Fog is awesomesauce. Zombie pirates, Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, John Houseman getting his campfire on, Adrienne Barbeau's cleavage speaking in a sexy radio voice (wait, Barbeau has a head? Seriously? I never noticed). What's to apologize for? Thanks. 10pts Easy.

Amen.
I'm gonna start calling you Right Reverend Mancini.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:

I need to sit down and have a beer with John. There's no need to apologize. The Fog is awesomesauce. Zombie pirates, Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, John Houseman getting his campfire on, Adrienne Barbeau's cleavage speaking in a sexy radio voice (wait, Barbeau has a head? Seriously? I never noticed). What's to apologize for?

Maybe it's his way of apologizing for the remake.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Jon Mercer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:01 am

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

Maybe it's his way of apologizing for the remake.

Was that the remake with Chevy Chase?
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby BenShultz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

I need to sit down and have a beer with John. There's no need to apologize. The Fog is awesomesauce. Zombie pirates, Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, John Houseman getting his campfire on, Adrienne Barbeau's cleavage speaking in a sexy radio voice (wait, Barbeau has a head? Seriously? I never noticed). What's to apologize for? Thanks. 10pts Easy.

I'm sorry, I have to ask. What's this "Thanks. 10pts Easy" business and where did it come from? Just curious.
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:43 pm

BenShultz wrote:I'm sorry, I have to ask. What's this "Thanks. 10pts Easy" business and where did it come from? Just curious.

See HERE. Thanks 10pts easy.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

Any way I can sit in on this meeting?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback