THE WOLF MAN SE review

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

THE WOLF MAN SE review

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 am

Just finished reading Judge Thomas' review, and I must say, I didn't even think about the presence of the woods!

However, oddly enough (and I kid you not), I just did my own review of the film that went up yesterday, and I came up with a very different anlysis, one which hinges upon the manner in which Talbot and Gwen meet. If anyone might get a kick out of it, it can be found here http://experiencecinematic.blogspot.com/2010/02/wolf-man-waggner-1941.html
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Re: THE WOLF MAN SE review

Postby SmokestackJones » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 am

Hey Jim,

That was a good review and I like the stills, a nice touch. One correction, though: this was not the first DVD release of the Universal Horror documentary. It was also included in the Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy Anniversary Editions/triple dip.

Aside from that, nice work.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My reading of A Christmas Carol
SmokestackJones
City Attorney

Postby Patrick Bromley » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am

I wanted to pick this up for the new transfer and the Universal documentary (which I still don't own), but knowing that it doesn't have the additional movies means I'll have to hang on to my Legacy Collection disc. How many copies of The Wolf Man should one really own, anyway? Besides the definitive version that IS Mike Nichols 'Wolf.

Great review, Jim!
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:50 am

I'm sticking with my LEGACY editions for all these Universal films. I can't see wanting anything more or less than all the flicks in one set.

But I did love the nod to the woods! Nice review there. WOLFMAN was always one of my favorites in the Universal run of classic monsters. It's a scary concept that obviously still works, but werewolves seem to get short shrift theatrically. Vampires and zombies seem to have more traction on the market!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am

The Wolf Man never quite grabbed me the way the other Universal horror's did. Chaney Jr. does nothing for me in anything he is in, I've never warmed to the makeup, and the movie needed a stronger director. But I always feel myself wanting to like it. It's such a good premise and setting. Jim does an excellent job in highlighting the strengths of the production and the effective use of atmosphere, but I don't think I need to see it again. I'm glad I've got Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf. I prefer the unique approach to the origin of the werewolf in that flick, and Oliver Reed can't be matched for intensity.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Return to Verdict Feedback