The Phantom

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

The Phantom

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:06 am

You know, I never have gotten around to seeing "The Phantom" all the way through, but what I've seen is pretty good. Actually, a better candidate for a companion in a double feature would probably be "The Shadow". Similar treatment, heroes from the same time period, and, as I recall, they were even released in theaters about the same time.

I do remember, though, going to an art house theater in Red Bank to see MST3K-TM and being surprised that my popcorn was in a Phantom logo bag.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Re: The Phantom

Postby Patrick Bromley » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 am

I thought about mentioning The Shadow for all the same reasons you mention, but I don't remember liking it as much as The Phantom. I know there were things about it that I liked, but I didn't walk away from it a fan. Of course, it's been about 13 years since I've seen it, so I'm long overdue for revisiting it. You, sir, have inspired me. Thanks!
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 am

I recall kind of liking THE SHADOW although it seemed more BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA than it ever intended to be. But then again it wasn't like THE PHANTOM wasn't aware of its own camp either. But you are right about them being the perfect double feature.

I went to an elaborate premiere for THE PHANTOM when they thought it was going to be the next big thing. Complete with skull rings and copies of the soundtrack for EVERYBODY! Woo hoo! I remember liking Billy Zane in it, but ultimately not really digging the whole thing all that much. It was forgettable somehow.

But very nice review, and I will check this one out for the sake of nostalgia. Not sure if it is a "must buy"...
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby jcankerhuxley » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:22 pm

The Phantom would go better as a double feature with The Rocketeer.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 am

Ok, based on this review, I just ordered the Blu Ray from Amazon.

Now, I'll say it again: UNIVERSAL. GET THE SHADOW OUT ON BLU. NOW.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 am

jcankerhuxley wrote:The Phantom would go better as a double feature with The Rocketeer.

i agree....the Phantom is one i enjoy for it's sillyness and Billy Zane's sixpack but i don't often tell people
what makes it work for me is that Zane plays it absolutely straight..the guy's in a purple leotard and knows it..and he makes it work. i'd like to know what Lee Falk was thinking when he thought up skin tight suit IN THE JUNGLE? sounds itchy and sweaty. perhaps it was a way to show of the muscles without aping Tarzan (pun intended)

funny how for a while there capitalists with skinny mustaches were always the villain.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:50 am

I saw both The Phantom and The Shadow on their respective opening nights, and while i loved the Shadow, i've never been able to track down a copy, and the Phantom, well, lets just say i never bothered to see it again.

This thread makes me want to revisit both.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Patrick Bromley » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, based on this review, I just ordered the Blu Ray from Amazon.

Cool! Thanks, ghostbuster. Let me know what you think...

molly1216 wrote:
jcankerhuxley wrote:The Phantom would go better as a double feature with The Rocketeer.

i agree....the Phantom is one i enjoy for it's sillyness and Billy Zane's sixpack but i don't often tell people
what makes it work for me is that Zane plays it absolutely straight..the guy's in a purple leotard and knows it..and he makes it work. i'd like to know what Lee Falk was thinking when he thought up skin tight suit IN THE JUNGLE? sounds itchy and sweaty. perhaps it was a way to show of the muscles without aping Tarzan (pun intended)

funny how for a while there capitalists with skinny mustaches were always the villain.

I'll third the Rocketeer/Phantom double feature (I sort of say as much in my review). And you make a great point, Molly -- part of what makes the movie work is that Billy Zane has the silly role (purple tights, jungle) and plays it totally straight, while Treat Williams has the straight (should be scary) role and plays it totally silly. Everyone seems to get that the movie is goofy fun, which probably made it forgettable in 1996 but makes it a pleasant discovery now.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. And "Slam Evil!" is one of the best taglines of ALL TIME.
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Patrick Bromley wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, based on this review, I just ordered the Blu Ray from Amazon.

molly1216 wrote:

I'll third the Rocketeer/Phantom double feature (I sort of say as much in my review). And you make a great point, Molly -- part of what makes the movie work is that Billy Zane has the silly role (purple tights, jungle) and plays it totally straight, while Treat Williams has the straight (should be scary) role and plays it totally silly. Everyone seems to get that the movie is goofy fun, which probably made it forgettable in 1996 but makes it a pleasant discovery now.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. And "Slam Evil!" is one of the best taglines of ALL TIME.

i love it when he drops down the hold of the ship into the womens locker room - ha.

btw catherine zeta jones in a tight black outfit - gotta give it props for that.
and his conversations with his 'dead' father Patrick MCgoohan? not bad for a 'crappy' movie
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:20 am

Patrick Bromley wrote:

molly1216 wrote:

Will do. I remember being disappointed when I originally saw the film, but I was a stupid kid then rather than stupid adult.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Movie Mike » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:56 am

The biggest problem with The Shadow was that we didn't get much actual Shadow stuff. I think he's in costume a total of maybe five minutes of screen time. While The Phantom and The Rocketeer gave us everything we needed and more.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 pm

Movie Mike wrote:The biggest problem with The Shadow was that we didn't get much actual Shadow stuff. I think he's in costume a total of maybe five minutes of screen time. While The Phantom and The Rocketeer gave us everything we needed and more.

More than that, certainly. He has at least four big scenes as the Shadow, including the extended climax.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Movie Mike » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Kenneth Morgan wrote:
Movie Mike wrote:The biggest problem with The Shadow was that we didn't get much actual Shadow stuff. I think he's in costume a total of maybe five minutes of screen time. While The Phantom and The Rocketeer gave us everything we needed and more.

More than that, certainly. He has at least four big scenes as the Shadow, including the extended climax.

I may have been exaggerating a tad but he was in costume less than Keaton was in the first Batman, and as for the extended climax if I remember correctly he ditched the costume almost immediately.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Sorry it took so long to get around to seeing the film. Much better than I remember, though it still most memorable for Treat Williams' insane performance as the lead villian.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Patrick Bromley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Treat Williams is awesome in that movie. So chipper. "Have you heard the exciting news? We're going to the Devil's Vortex!"

Glad to hear you liked it more than you remembered!
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:59 pm

I do think that movies we had previously classified as awful, look better when compared to more recent and much more awful films.
i like the phantom as well as the Rocketeer and many cheesy films of that era, they seem to have a joyousness to their silliness.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Patrick Bromley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Totally agree, Molly. Neither films seem to have an ounce of cynicism -- something we probably couldn't appreciate 15 years ago, but which seems positively refreshing given what we've been through in the decade+ since.

The Rocketeer is pretty much the only thing giving me hope for Joe Johnston's Captain America.
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Return to Verdict Feedback