Near Dark (Blu-Ray)

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Near Dark (Blu-Ray)

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:24 am

Just a small question for Steve. I rented this to check out the transfer and was as disappointed as you. Besides the plastic looking faces you mentionned in your review did you also think the film was TOO dark? - it's been a while since I'd seen it, so I couldn't compare...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Near Dark (Blu-Ray)

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:03 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Just a small question for Steve. I rented this to check out the transfer and was as disappointed as you. Besides the plastic looking faces you mentionned in your review did you also think the film was TOO dark? - it's been a while since I'd seen it, so I couldn't compare...

It's always been a pretty dark film, but i found the old Anchor Bay DVD had some out of whack contrast that made the flick a bit more murky grey than i remembered it being on Beta back in the day. That always seems to be a common problem with 80's movies in general. Cinematography and film stocks being what they were for that particular decade or so.

Visually speaking, my experience with Near Dark is based more on the many times i watched it on video back in the day as I had only seen the old DVD two or three times in the interim before the Blu-ray came along. I think that if the blu-ray got one thing right in the visual department it was the black levels. I just always remember it being a very dark flick.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:29 am

Cool, thanks for the update. I'll try playing with the black levels on my computer and see what happens, I also thought Public Enemies was too dark in some places. Maybe it's just me...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Cool, thanks for the update. I'll try playing with the black levels on my computer and see what happens, I also thought Public Enemies was too dark in some places. Maybe it's just me...

In my experience software players on PC's tend to be calibrated a little darker - that's probably your issue.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Movie Mike » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I think the funniest thing about this re-release is that decided to make the cover art look like the Twilight poster. I get a warm feeling when I think of the teen girls who rent this expecting to see an Edward/Bella type romance and get Bill Paxton slitting a barkeeps throat open with his spurs instead.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:35 pm

The weirdest thing is that Blade Runner looked perfect. I'll have to check it out on a t.v.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback