Escape from I Love New York

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Escape from I Love New York

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 am

Judge Ian Visser obviously didn't groove on the VH-1 I Love New York set. That's cool, that's cool. I'm feeling you, and thanks for keeping it real. I actually kind of liked this one better than Flavor of Love, and I'm curious about a few things...

- Do they unbleep all the foul language?
- Is the nudity still blurred?

What a shame about the lack of extras for the series. It actually got great ratings for VH-1.

Now come on down Judge Ian Visser, and show some love for your girl New York. And then get the f@#k out of my house!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Re: Escape from I Love New York

Postby call » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:45 am

Judge Ian V. here. Yes, the naughty language is present, but the booties are still tastefully hidden.

I really hoped to like this series, and it truly has it's gleefully awful moments. But it doesn't make the grade, suffering from too much scripting and too many episodes.

But I'm feeling you, b-Cullum, for all the love you're showing...if you're looking to buy the set, PM me and I'll cut you a deal.
"John Matrix does whatever the hell he wants to and if anyone has a problem with that they should go to the nearest deli and place an order for a 'Go F—-k Yourself with Provolone on Whole Wheat'. - Judge David Johnson
call
City Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:20 pm

THANKS!

Yeah, I went back to the review and found where you noted the naughty language was unbleeped - always one of the reasons to invest in the set. Though I admit when I watch those programs the bleeps are somewhat charming. I love it when they give you the option to censor or not like MTV did with The Osbournes. I wonder why they don't do that with the nudity as well - which is always just booty time. Although New York seems to pop out of her tops routinely. You always wonder what's under those blurs.

I don't know why, but I find this series better than FLAVOR OF LOVE. Maybe I am just a fan of "fake". The guys seemed more aware of the ridiculous show they are on, and the women on the Flava Flav program were just tragic and all too real. It made me more depressed when I thought about the girls in the real world.

No need for me to buy the set. Without major extras, I've already seen the series several times over thanks to VH-1's "let's play it again and again and again, then once more for good measure!" programming strategy.

But I am onboard for the second season which is currently airing. They've got a midget this time, and they are bringing back Chance. It's way out there! I'm amazed at the mileage they are getting out of this series... who knew?

Great job by the way on this review and all those for the FLAVA OF LOVE. Can't wait for CHARM SCHOOL to come your way as well.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Kristin Munson » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 pm

I can't understand why VH-1 wouldn't include any extras, especially for one of their biggest hits. Every week they had deleted footage and mini-commentaries by Goldie on their website and OnDemand, why didn't they slap those on the discs?

I got the feeling that the producers had to manipulate a little bit of drama because men can compete for the same girl and stay friendly while women feel the need to fight like he's the last chicken in the shop, no matter how crusty and disease-ridden that chicken is.

After enduring months of the tiresome Rock of Love I'm loving the campy goodness that is I Love New York 2: Hepatitis Boogaloo.
"You're saying humans need fantasy to make life bearable?" -Susan
"Humans need fantasy to be human." -Death
Hogfather
Kristin Munson
Law Clerk

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:14 pm

Kristin Munson wrote:After enduring months of the tiresome Rock of Love I'm loving the campy goodness that is I Love New York 2: Hepatitis Boogaloo.

You made my day with that quote! Very funny.

I think the only way to make a reality competition compelling on DVD is to include extras. The replay value is not that great once you know who wins, so it's nice to see deleted scenes, audition tapes, and commentaries. VH-1 has never supplied a lot of material, and most reality series don't do this. Most of the times they don't want to show anything that will pull back the veil. I'm sure most of I LOVE NEW YORK was heavily influenced by producers who chime in on eliminations and spur people on to do certain things. Still, they could supply something.
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Wens » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:41 am

Sometimes the extra parts can give the movie a better view. Adding nudes parts to the extras are great idea.
I was very surprised to readthat not everybody do see these parts. For me it is like having desert after dinner.
Wens
Law Clerk

Postby call » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:24 am

After reviewing both Season 1 and 2 of Flavor of Love I have to agree that the extras are often the best parts of this genre. They are usually put together in a way that makes the participants look incredibly bad, and demonstrate a great deal about the purpose of these shows (namely that they don't have one).
"John Matrix does whatever the hell he wants to and if anyone has a problem with that they should go to the nearest deli and place an order for a 'Go F—-k Yourself with Provolone on Whole Wheat'. - Judge David Johnson
call
City Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:29 am

I'm curious if anyone is watching the current and most tragic season of FLAVOR OF LOVE? I've been following it, but it seems half hearted in comparison with the previous seasons.

It seems New York is officially off the market, and somehow found true love with her geeky white guy at the end of I LOVE NEW YORK 2. I doubt we will see a sequel to that one since "Tailor Made" would stalk the house and contestants if she did try to break it off with him.

Damn you reality television! [shakes fist in air]
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby christinaman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:05 am

BrettCullum wrote:I'm curious if anyone is watching the current and most tragic season of FLAVOR OF LOVE? I've been following it, but it seems half hearted in comparison with the previous seasons.

It seems Hotel New York is officially off the market, and somehow found true love with her geeky white guy at the end of I LOVE NEW YORK 2. I doubt we will see a sequel to that one since "Tailor Made" would stalk the house and contestants if she did try to break it off with him.

Damn you reality television! [shakes fist in air]

I never had a chance to watch this and it sounds very interesting..
christinaman
Law Clerk

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:16 am

Unfortunately the lovely Miss New York never sought love after two seasons. Instead the network moved on to watch her try to take Hollywood and then attempt various jobs for humor's sake. Both projects were not as successful... I think her mojo is zapped! But at least Chance and Real live on trying to find love together... I'm sure VH-1 is devastated at the idea Flava Flav and New York have both decided not to do any more reality dating shows for them. As are we all....
BrettCullum
Judge

Return to Verdict Feedback