What's your song of the day?

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

Re: What's your song of the day?

Postby Selk » Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 pm

For obvious reasons, my song of the day is "Iron Man" by Black Sabbith.
"Movies are suppose to be big - If they're not big, they're television"
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 am

Stone the Crow by Down.

I remember when Corrosion of Conformity had their brush with the mainstream, and Down were considered a supergroup. Pepper Keenan (CoC/Down guitarist)is still one of the best rock players i've ever heard, if only he'd sang this one instead of Phil (always sounding like he's on the verge of throwing up) Anselmo.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon May 17, 2010 7:48 pm

When I get mad and I get pissed
I grab a pen and I make a list
of all the people that won't be missed
you've made my s**tlist - L7
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 am

Privilege (Set Me Free) - Patti Smith. One of my favorite songs from Easter shows how Patti can both be spiritual and blasphemous at the same time. Great lyrics, great music and incorporating the 23d Psalm = genius. Funny I checked it up and Patti didn't even write it! It sure sounds like her work though.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am

Been going through a major run of Squeeze songs and the one I keep going back to is Another Nail For My Heart.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:57 am

Last thing that played on my iPod before I unlocked the doors at work was "Prehistoric Dog" by Red Fang, which, by the by, has one of the funniest videos I have ever seen.

also been listening to a lot of The Black Keys.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Because of the Halloween watching thread : King Diamond and Halloween. I'm sure he can break wine glasses with that voice!"
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Because of the Halloween watching thread : King Diamond and Halloween. I'm sure he can break wine glasses with that voice!"

Playing that right now on the guitar since you mentioned it!.....love that album Fatal Portrait.....my favorite cuz it's the most Mercyful Fate like of his solo albums..
If only it had the production of Abigail......
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Black Mountain - Old Fangs. <--- great song, better video!

Vancouver based '70s revival act. Unlike so many of their peers, these guys listened to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin way too much ,but actually DON'T go out of their way to emulate them. Their new CD (Wilderness Heart) is extremely awesome.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dimwitted » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:29 am

Little Lion Man by Mumford. Just the way I'm feeling.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Paul Kile » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:45 am

The theme from the movie Silverado, score by Bruce Broughton.

My wife plays oboe in a community concert band, and she came back from the first practice of the year with the great news - the band director located a band arrangement of the piece and they will be performing it this year.

We are both stoked about this because it is one of our all-time favorite movie scores, and there are a couple of great oboe solos for my wife to stand out on.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Melissa Auf der Maur and Taste You (French Version). Not only is Melissa a redhaired temptress, she was born and went to school in Montreal. This song is great and I really think the French version is the best one.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 am

"Bring the Light" by Beady Eye (aka: Oasis version 3.0)
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Stubby » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:58 am

"Chopping Brocolli"-Dana Carvey
I just finished lunch
Stubby
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 pm

"Say What You Will" by Fastway, one of the best one hit wonders in rock ever.
(Yes I heard the rest of their first record and it does suck besides this one classic)
tucco
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:07 am

Sweet Georgia Brown done by Django Reinhardt
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dimwitted » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Margaritaville.

Because it's Friday.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 am

The theme from Red Dwarf... because it IS cold outside...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby tucco » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Selk!.....The Beatles (early working title for Help!)
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:58 am

Planetary (GO!) by My Chemical Romance - because I'm playing a little game with a ton of fast cars in called GRAN TURISMO 5.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm

"Dr. Dr. E" by Holy F***
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Pleasure and Pain by The Devinyls. The much less successful, but better of their two successful singles.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Archere » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:02 am

hey....
for me the song of the day is....
ride it by jay Sean
it just awesome song.... especially its music.... i just love it.......
Archere
Law Clerk

Postby tucco » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 pm

B - Movie .....Gil-Scott Heron

Been listening to a comp. of his stuff today.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Sea Of Madness - Iron Maiden
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:02 am

Four Letter Word by Beady Eye - Oasis 3.0 is actually prety damn awesome.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby tucco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Sea Of Madness - Iron Maiden

Gabriel, how far after Somewhere In Time album did you hang with Maiden?
I personally thought that Powerslave was the last classic album.
Some friends disagree and point to "Somewhere", but i think it's a departure.
To me Live After Death caps off an era for Maiden, like KISS Alive II does for KISS.
Some other friends hung through Seventh Son, but by then I think that power-metal like Dio and Maiden had been replaced by thrash.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:24 pm

tucco wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Sea Of Madness - Iron Maiden

Gabriel, how far after Somewhere In Time album did you hang with Maiden?
I personally thought that Powerslave was the last classic album.
Some friends disagree and point to "Somewhere", but i think it's a departure.
To me Live After Death caps off an era for Maiden, like KISS Alive II does for KISS.
Some other friends hung through Seventh Son, but by then I think that power-metal like Dio and Maiden had been replaced by thrash.

I actually think Seventh Son is their last great album. It's a departure for sure but it still feels epic and is a rockin' good time, but then I also dig prog-rock. But yeah, if you want ''classic'' Maiden Powerslave is probably the last stop...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Yeah, after Seventh Son, it's definitely a straight plunge down for the group......and funny how they were considered "punk metal" with Paul D'ianno.
They made the right career move with Dickenson, but some real die-hards think they lost something when D'ianno left. (I mean besides a drunk who was holding them back)
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:47 am

tucco wrote:Yeah, after Seventh Son, it's definitely a straight plunge down for the group......and funny how they were considered "punk metal" with Paul D'ianno.
They made the right career move with Dickenson, but some real die-hards think they lost something when D'ianno left. (I mean besides a drunk who was holding them back)

I've really only been disappointed by three Maiden albums. I started on Piece of Mind and still stick with them today (I honestly feel "A Matter of Life and Death" stands toe to toe with anything in their back catalog). No Prayer for the Dying was the first time they felt like they were on "auto-pilot" for me. The intelligent, sophisticated songwriting was absent, like they went into the studio without any sort of plan at all. Virtual XI was a similar experience; I know everyone trashes the X Factor because of Bruce's absence, but I found it to be a brilliant bit of work, exactly what was needed for the band at the time, but Virtual XI was just so haphazard and slapped together... and the last one, The Final Frontier, had a few promising tracks, but on the whole, it lacks the bite of the previous three "post reunion" albums.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby tucco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
tucco wrote:Yeah, after Seventh Son, it's definitely a straight plunge down for the group......and funny how they were considered "punk metal" with Paul D'ianno.

I've really only been disappointed by three Maiden albums. I started on Piece of Mind and still stick with them today (I honestly feel "A Matter of Life and Death" stands toe to toe with anything in their back catalog). No Prayer for the Dying was the first time they felt like they were on "auto-pilot" for me. The intelligent, sophisticated songwriting was absent, like they went into the studio without any sort of plan at all. Virtual XI was a similar experience; I know everyone trashes the X Factor because of Bruce's absence, but I found it to be a brilliant bit of work, exactly what was needed for the band at the time, but Virtual XI was just so haphazard and slapped together... and the last one, The Final Frontier, had a few promising tracks, but on the whole, it lacks the bite of the previous three "post reunion" albums.

Coincidentally, I started with Piece of Mind too. Friends had Number of the Beast and I liked it of course, but Piece was the first one I owned.
I went back and bought the others. Of the D'ianno albums, I think the first one is the stronger.
Then Powerslave came out. I think this album represents some of their best work, peppered with some album tracks that are not as instantly recognizable by name upon hearing as the album tracks on Piece of Mind.
I owned Somewhere in Time, (which was given to me, though I would have bought it anyway) wasn't thrilled, was glad they FINALLY got a vid that MTV played with "Wasted Years" (which shows that Adrian Smith leaving was about as bad as Dickenson leaving, since he was the principle writer of the track)
That was the last album I actually owned by Maiden.
Plenty of friends had Seventh Son, and I liked some tracks but thought the production was a little glossy for a Maiden album.
After that I kind of dropped them, while hearing their output from friends, until the reunion albums, which I think are very solid.
Keeping Janick Gers was a good idea, they can have the twin guitar work AND the rhythm guitar live.

I am also one of those people you run into once in a while who may just like Piece of Mind better than Number of the Beast ....a little better.....I think because some of the lesser tracks on Piece may be better than the lesser tracks on Beast. But hey, that's just me.
For example I think "Still Life" and "Quest for Fire" (while a little hokey) are more memorable than "Invaders".
......Okay sorry for turning this into a Maiden thread for a bit, but people don't really post on this thread much anyway and I didn't see the harm in a little Maiden confab...........
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm

tucco wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

Coincidentally, I started with Piece of Mind too. Friends had Number of the Beast and I liked it of course, but Piece was the first one I owned.
I went back and bought the others. Of the D'ianno albums, I think the first one is the stronger.
Then Powerslave came out. I think this album represents some of their best work, peppered with some album tracks that are not as instantly recognizable by name upon hearing as the album tracks on Piece of Mind.
I owned Somewhere in Time, (which was given to me, though I would have bought it anyway) wasn't thrilled, was glad they FINALLY got a vid that MTV played with "Wasted Years" (which shows that Adrian Smith leaving was about as bad as Dickenson leaving, since he was the principle writer of the track)
That was the last album I actually owned by Maiden.
Plenty of friends had Seventh Son, and I liked some tracks but thought the production was a little glossy for a Maiden album.
After that I kind of dropped them, while hearing their output from friends, until the reunion albums, which I think are very solid.
Keeping Janick Gers was a good idea, they can have the twin guitar work AND the rhythm guitar live.

I am also one of those people you run into once in a while who may just like Piece of Mind better than Number of the Beast ....a little better.....I think because some of the lesser tracks on Piece may be better than the lesser tracks on Beast. But hey, that's just me.
For example I think "Still Life" and "Quest for Fire" (while a little hokey) are more memorable than "Invaders".
......Okay sorry for turning this into a Maiden thread for a bit, but people don't really post on this thread much anyway and I didn't see the harm in a little Maiden confab...........

Hell no.

Right there with you with Number of the Beast, I didn't really appreciate that album much until YEARS later. Even now it's a bout a half n half album for me, while Piece of Mind is still one i dig into from start to finish. It's a stronger album.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm

tucco wrote:......Okay sorry for turning this into a Maiden thread for a bit, but people don't really post on this thread much anyway and I didn't see the harm in a little Maiden confab...........

Nothing wrong with talking about Maiden! My experience with them began with Powerslave, then Number Of The Beast, then Piece Of Mind. I only had these three until years later when I bought Dance Of Death. Then I bought Seventh Son & Somewhere in Time. I've only just started listening to the rest of their ouput. Powerslave is my favorite album, Seventh Son comes second - I that think it's experimental while not compromising Maiden's sound. I think that there isn't a bad song on that album.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:20 pm

I think that Bruce Dickenson is one of those people who think that the Earth is only ten thousand years old.......after all, according to him, "dinosaurs walked the Earth" while we were questing for fire! ....just a thought :)
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this topic because I've got Sweet Talking Candyman from Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls stuck in my head. A result of the awesomness of the song and the awesomness of Dolly Reed's beauty.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 am

Okay how's this for contrasts...

Insanity by King Diamond - one of the best guitar pieces ever written and performed by any artist anywhere

The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby and the Range - some truly amazing piano work, plus it was playing in a bar in New York where I stayed til closing after an amazing night chatting with the bartender (quiet night, we were the only two people in the place) and I think I will always associate this song with my time in that freaking amazing city.

and

Someone Like You by Adele - because, along with about 106 million Youtube viewers, I think this girl has an absolutely astounding voice.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 am

Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger

Been my song for the month.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 am

Attrage wrote:Insanity by King Diamond - one of the best guitar pieces ever written and performed by any artist anywhere

Agreed it's always nice to see another King Diamond fan.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Attrage wrote:Insanity by King Diamond - one of the best guitar pieces ever written and performed by any artist anywhere

Agreed it's always nice to see another King Diamond fan.

I'll never forget the first time I heard it. It was one of those pieces of music I purposefully didnt want to listen to over and over again so I'd preserve the impact it had on me each time I listened to it. I needn't have bothered, I chuck it on now and it still sends the same shivers up my spine.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Continuing in a King Diamond frame of mind my SOD is Mercyful Fate's Gypsy
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm

The Talking Heads' Heaven because Mike and the bots mentionned it during the Soultaker episode. Am I the only one keeping this thread going?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:25 pm

The entirety of Orange Goblin - Eulogy For the Damned, because it is one hell of an amazing album and it deserves your attention!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Continuing in a King Diamond frame of mind my SOD is Mercyful Fate's Gypsy

Ah, don't break the oath...you just took me down memory lane man, my first MF album
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 am

Today it's been a bit of a mixed bag..."Down with the Sickness" live version by Disturbed, and in keeping with me being massively contradicatory in every way, "Who Says" by John Mayer, as well.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

The Kinks' Lola and subsequently Weird Al's Yoda.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm

New York Minute - Don Henley
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Front Row - Alanis Moriesette Pilate
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 pm

CHarles Mingus The Clown. Pure Genius!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Shredding the Balloon - Hilltop Hoods -- these guys exploded onto the Australian hip hop scene years ago and pretty much immediately established themselves as one of the best live acts on the scene. This song is from their latest album, which I think is their best so far and shows the respect they've gained from hip hop artists the world over - based on the artists who feature with them in a few songs here. Much as the music speaks for itself I also gotta respect guys in their mid-30's who still wear huge baggy pants and hoodies ;)
Attrage
City Attorney

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic