Amy Winehouse Dead!

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

Amy Winehouse Dead!

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:13 am

'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Amy Winehouse Dead!

Postby stypee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:14 am

The strangest thing about her death is people really aren't surprised at all. Nobody is at all shocked or anything it's like "well, we were expecting that to happen anyway...". Sad but true.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:48 am

Actual cause of death listed as Excessive Celebrity Syndrome, where your "fame" far exceeds the amount of actual "talent" you possess. You begin to believe that you deserve said fame, riches, etc. in the first stages of the disease, and the...n when the "fame" starts to wane your symptoms include excessive drug usage, drugs busts, arrests, mug shots, etc. Male celebrities usually die at that point, but some female celebrities finish off their "career" with a "sex tape" scandal. Luckily for us, no such tape exists so there will be no revealing shots of Skeletor Winehouse.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby JoshRode » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Dunnyman wrote:Actual cause of death listed as Excessive Celebrity Syndrome, where your "fame" far exceeds the amount of actual "talent" you possess. You begin to believe that you deserve said fame, riches, etc. in the first stages of the disease, and the...n when the "fame" starts to wane your symptoms include excessive drug usage, drugs busts, arrests, mug shots, etc. Male celebrities usually die at that point, but some female celebrities finish off their "career" with a "sex tape" scandal. Luckily for us, no such tape exists so there will be no revealing shots of Skeletor Winehouse.

How do you know such a tape doesn't exist? Could still come out.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Dunnyman wrote:Actual cause of death listed as Excessive Celebrity Syndrome, where your "fame" far exceeds the amount of actual "talent" you possess. You begin to believe that you deserve said fame, riches, etc. in the first stages of the disease, and the...n when the "fame" starts to wane your symptoms include excessive drug usage, drugs busts, arrests, mug shots, etc. Male celebrities usually die at that point, but some female celebrities finish off their "career" with a "sex tape" scandal. Luckily for us, no such tape exists so there will be no revealing shots of Skeletor Winehouse.

Wow. Could you be any more of an a**hole? First of all, Winehouse wasn't exactly my bag, but she had a hell of a voice. Make no mistake, her talent brought her fame, not a sex tape or a famous relative or a manufactured star-making process. Second, she didn't turn to drugs because her fame began to wane. Her fame began to wane because of her substance abuse problems interfering with every facet of her career. But, you know, whatever. It was undoubtedly all her fault, so we should just crack jokes about the death of a human being, right? No better time to do so than immediately after her death.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Observer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:47 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:

Wow. Could you be any more of an a**hole? First of all, Winehouse wasn't exactly my bag, but she had a hell of a voice. Make no mistake, her talent brought her fame, not a sex tape or a famous relative or a manufactured star-making process. Second, she didn't turn to drugs because her fame began to wane. Her fame began to wane because of her substance abuse problems interfering with every facet of her career. But, you know, whatever. It was undoubtedly all her fault, so we should just crack jokes about the death of a human being, right? No better time to do so than immediately after her death.

If you think this is a woman without talent, I respectfully believe that you're out of your mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAfLE39ZZ8&ob=av2n

Her death may not necessarily be tragic, since she obviously fell victim to her own vices, but to say that she lacked talent is an absurd statement to me.
"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about." The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
Observer
Paralegal

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 am

Observer wrote:Her death may not necessarily be tragic, since she obviously fell victim to her own vices

I don't see that as any less tragic. Sure, she elected to take drugs, but who knows why she first turned to them, and who knows what traumas she has in her past. Hell, the majority of the world's adult population is made up of drug users, I'd wager. Alcohol just happens to be more socially acceptable and legalized. It's led to more than a few tragic deaths. She clearly fell victim to her own poor decisions, but youthful irresponsibility leading to a fatal tailspin of substance abuse seems about as tragic as you can get in my view.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 am

Her talent was marginal, although whoever directed the video did well. That however isn't really what these threads are about. There is a time to pay respect or at least hold back.

As far as the tragedy of it, it's harder to be sympathetic when someone brings it on themselves. I'm not sure why though. I suppose it instincts somewhere.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Her talent was marginal, although whoever directed the video did well.

I'm sorry, but that's just insane . She's one of the strongest voices of the past decade, easily. And she wrote powerful songs that came from a very genuine, painful place, bridging classic soul with contemporary pop. Like I said, she's not exactly my thing, but if you can't appreciate her phenomenal talent, you may as well be deaf.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:Her talent was marginal, although whoever directed the video did well.

I'm sorry, but that's just insane . She's one of the strongest voices of the past decade, easily. And she wrote powerful songs that came from a very genuine, painful place, bridging classic soul with contemporary pop. Like I said, she's not exactly my thing, but if you can't appreciate her phenomenal talent, you may as well be deaf.

In related news, Billie Holiday was a hack who had it comin'.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the stunning coincidence of her death at age 27. f---, what is it about 27??? Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin....it's a little freaky...no?
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:36 am

I've heard the conspiracy theory that Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin were given bad drugs to kill them. Some say the DEA was responsible, others blame political extremists.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I've heard the conspiracy theory that Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin were given bad drugs to kill them. Some say the DEA was responsible, others blame political extremists.

27? Just a coincidence, although that's only the opinion of an arsehole. My lack of sympathy has to do with her inability to follow up her "brilliant" first two records,and her subsequent series of "what can I do to stay in the papers?" incidents. "Hey, if I run out in the streets in my underwear, it'll be in all the papers!" Easier to do than get it together and create more work, sure, and it's exactly what led to her problems. As long as the spotlight was on, she was "happy". These fame fanatics don't get much sympathy from me when they go way too far in their efforts to "still be popular". I won't feel sorry for Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian when their fame seeking backfires on them either.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Dunnyman wrote:My lack of sympathy has to do with her inability to follow up her "brilliant" first two records,and her subsequent series of "what can I do to stay in the papers?" incidents. "Hey, if I run out in the streets in my underwear, it'll be in all the papers!" Easier to do than get it together and create more work, sure, and it's exactly what led to her problems. As long as the spotlight was on, she was "happy".

Yeah, she just oozed calculated scandal. Footage of her in the last months suggests that she's hardly aware of where she is, let alone the promotional possibilities of her escapades. But it's easier to write off all headline-garnering starlets with the same broad brush than it is to consider that they may have wildly different experiences, aims and paths to fame, isn't it. By all means, detail the correlation between Paris Hilton (wealthy, socialite family; "reality" star; courts paparazzi), Kim Kardashian (wealthy, socialite family; "reality" star; courts paparazzi) and Amy Winehouse (daughter of a taxi driver and a pharmacist; arts-intensive upbringing; long history of emotional/psychological distress, depression, self-harm, eating disorders; filed restraining order against paparazzi).
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Attrage wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the stunning coincidence of her death at age 27. f---, what is it about 27??? Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin....it's a little freaky...no?

You forgot Kurt Cobain...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:00 am

Turns out the 27 list is huge and also has a wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Off Topic