Damn Canadians have gone too far!!!

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

Damn Canadians have gone too far!!!

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:35 am

http://foodbeast.com/content/2011/08/22 ... ine-pizza/
Poutine....pizza?

Frickin' barbarians.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Re: Damn Canadians have gone too far!!!

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 pm

At first I thought it was one of those dessert pizzas. When I found out what it was I became a little ill.

To think, people in other countries think something as simple as our biscuits are strange. Then we something like this.

Do Canadian's have biscuits? I don't mean cookies, I mean something you could put a piece of sausage in and have a self contained breakfast. I used to know someone from England who would get ill looking at them for some reason. I think it's just because he couldn't get the "sweet biscuit" idea of of his mind. If he had looked at it more like a breakfast bread instead of a Starbucks style sweet then he would have warmed up to it.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Dunnyman wrote:http://foodbeast.com/content/2011/08/22/craving-poutine-pizza/
Poutine....pizza?

Frickin' barbarians.

what the hell is wrong with you people!!!

is nothing sacred?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:28 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:At first I thought it was one of those dessert pizzas. When I found out what it was I became a little ill.

To think, people in other countries think something as simple as our biscuits are strange. Then we something like this.

Do Canadian's have biscuits? I don't mean cookies, I mean something you could put a piece of sausage in and have a self contained breakfast. I used to know someone from England who would get ill looking at them for some reason. I think it's just because he couldn't get the "sweet biscuit" idea of of his mind. If he had looked at it more like a breakfast bread instead of a Starbucks style sweet then he would have warmed up to it.

Years ago when I was got into London in the very early morning I decided to get breakfast at McDonald's, and ordered a sausage biscuit only to receive some very strange looks from the staff as they had no idea what the hell I was actually asking for.
We might both have been speaking English but we weren't speaking the same language.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Dunnyman wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:At first I thought it was one of those dessert pizzas. When I found out what it was I became a little ill.

Years ago when I was got into London in the very early morning I decided to get breakfast at McDonald's, and ordered a sausage biscuit only to receive some very strange looks from the staff as they had no idea what the hell I was actually asking for.
We might both have been speaking English but we weren't speaking the same language.

From the LAND that gave us the Bacon Sandwich? what is wrong with them?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby ppritchard » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Dunnyman wrote:

Sausage...biscuit? What the...

I've had to Google that to see what it was. It looks like processed meat slapped inside a scone. Are they crunchy? Soft? Sweet? Savory? I'm both intrigued and repulsed in equal measure.
ppritchard
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Not sweet. An American biscuit isn't sweet unless you pour icing on it. I think the lineage is French but I'm not sure.

A scone might be a fair comparison. Drive across the border and try one. It's bread that has a crust on it, a fair amount of buttery flavoring, and works great with any breakfast meat. Bacon, egg, and cheese are a good combo but I still think sausage rules the breakfast. You know how soft bred gets gooey if you put certain meats on it, hence you toast it. Well the biscuit is immune to goeyness.

I think the fact that English biscuits are sweet is the prime problem with international perception. If one or the other had a different name I imagine it would have taken off.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Doing some exhaustive cultural research, some of which was youtube. I have learned

1- many Canadians enjoy biscuits but some do indeed call them scones.
2- true scones are vegan where biscuits are often made from animal fat
3- scones are like flaky biscuits where biscuits as any southerner will tell you can vary greatly depending on who made them from flaky to crumbly and hopefully somewhere in between so your sausage or jelly won't fall out and mess up your pants.
4- Canadians like the rest of the world are totally devoid of actual "smarties" and instead have some off brand M&M clone.

edit----
5- further research proves that Canadians do have Smarties after all they just call them Rockets because Canadians are strange like that.

All you ever needed to know about Canada is contained in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wSurTWZZRg
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:25 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:4- Canadians like the rest of the world are totally devoid of actual "smarties" and instead have some off brand M&M clone.

Smarties predate M&Ms. Cultural criticism fail.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:4- Canadians like the rest of the world are totally devoid of actual "smarties" and instead have some off brand M&M clone.

It was just a joke but doing research I see they are about 5 years apart. I had no idea M&Ms went back that far.

As for which is better, I trust the girl on Youtube because girls don't lie and everything on Youtube has been literally verified as a fact by the International Council of Youtube.

In seriousness the idea of an orange flavored Smartie seems wrong to me. Wouldn't it mess up the flavor when you eat them all together?

Then again I went to high school with a girl who swore she could tell that M&M candies had different flavors.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Awright I gotta chime in here to give an Australian perspective. Here is Oz, mention a "biscuit" to someone and they will bring you a "cookie". If you're a true Aussie though, you'd never say biscuit. You'd say "bickie". :lol:
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:55 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

It was just a joke but doing research I see they are about 5 years apart. I had no idea M&Ms went back that far.

As for which is better, I trust the girl on Youtube because girls don't lie and everything on Youtube has been literally verified as a fact by the International Council of Youtube.

In seriousness the idea of an orange flavored Smartie seems wrong to me. Wouldn't it mess up the flavor when you eat them all together?

Then again I went to high school with a girl who swore she could tell that M&M candies had different flavors.

Well, them Canuck Smarties are El Blando, you gotta get the Original Limey ones, and the orange one's friggen' rock.
Seriously.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Poutine pizza... uhhhh, yeah, no worries about that catching on... we don't typically eat like we're from the southern US.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:20 am

Steve T Power wrote:Poutine pizza... uhhhh, yeah, no worries about that catching on... we don't typically eat like we're from the southern US.

Trust me, no one in the southern US would eat that. We love our fried foods but some things just don't mix ell. Gravy and fries, no thank you. Southerners do like to put cheese on things but usually it's more traditional cheese like sliced American or varying degrees of cheddar. I don't care for cheese personally and it can be hard to find food without it. Some people do put cheese on their fries however.

I thought poutine was more of a necessity food anyway and not something people sought out. It'the if you have to carry a meal in a compact form kind of thing isn't it.

A lot of the strange foods you see on the internet aren't really for eating as much as they are for getting a little press it seems.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Poutine pizza... uhhhh, yeah, no worries about that catching on... we don't typically eat like we're from the southern US.

Trust me, no one in the southern US would eat that. We love our fried foods but some things just don't mix ell. Gravy and fries, no thank you. Southerners do like to put cheese on things but usually it's more traditional cheese like sliced American or varying degrees of cheddar. I don't care for cheese personally and it can be hard to find food without it. Some people do put cheese on their fries however.

I thought poutine was more of a necessity food anyway and not something people sought out. It'the if you have to carry a meal in a compact form kind of thing isn't it.

A lot of the strange foods you see on the internet aren't really for eating as much as they are for getting a little press it seems.

Uhhh... yeah...

Gravy on fries is older than recorded time. And Poutine is available pretty much everywhere (including chains like KFC.) Now Poutine pizza... that's different entirely. No sign of it in my neck of the woods, and you're right... some things just do not go together.

Poutine is delicious on occasion. But it's not an everyday food.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 am

mkiker2089 wrote:

Trust me, no one in the southern US would eat that. We love our fried foods but some things just don't mix ell. Gravy and fries, no thank you.

I don't know that I'd go that far. I've lived in Texas my entire life and I don't think I know anyone who hasn't craved french fries and gravy at one time or another. In fact, they're a menu staple at truck stops around where I grew up. Talk about your heart attack on a plate. Good stuff!
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 am

Bryan Pope wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

Trust me, no one in the southern US would eat that. We love our fried foods but some things just don't mix ell. Gravy and fries, no thank you.

I don't know that I'd go that far. I've lived in Texas my entire life and I don't think I know anyone who hasn't craved french fries and gravy at one time or another. In fact, they're a menu staple at truck stops around where I grew up. Talk about your heart attack on a plate. Good stuff!

Actually, in the mid 90's when KFC had really good fries (which of course they dumped pretty quick because I liked 'em) I used to get them with gravy, but the cheese curds? Yeeeurrgghh....
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 am

Dunnyman wrote:
Bryan Pope wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

Actually, in the mid 90's when KFC had really good fries (which of course they dumped pretty quick because I liked 'em) I used to get them with gravy, but the cheese curds? Yeeeurrgghh....

KFC also introduced this grotesquery:

http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls_potato.asp

About on par with the poutine pizza.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby stypee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Well, at least they aren't messing with the Star Wars movies... You know how them Canadian's are, don't you Steve? Messing with them Star Wars movies... eh?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 pm

stypee wrote:Well, at least they aren't messing with the Star Wars movies... You know how them Canadian's are, don't you Steve? Messing with them Star Wars movies... eh?

I knows all aboot it.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:35 am

I went vegan two days ago...

now comes the cold turkey part...(pun intended)
i will be 50 next year..if i live that long.
pass the tofurkey
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:25 am

molly1216 wrote:I went vegan two days ago...

pass the tofurkey

Constructive criticism time. I hope it is for environmental and not health reasons. Also, absolute veganism after two days seems like a good way to set yourself up for quitting. It would make more sense to me to alter your diet gradually, giving your body a chance to adapt and you a chance to learn how best to implement such a radical change in lifestyle. Never go anywhere without an emergency snack on your person, and try not to abuse your new telekinetic powers.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
molly1216 wrote:I went vegan two days ago...

pass the tofurkey

Constructive criticism time. I hope it is for environmental and not health reasons. Also, absolute veganism after two days seems like a good way to set yourself up for quitting. It would make more sense to me to alter your diet gradually, giving your body a chance to adapt and you a chance to learn how best to implement such a radical change in lifestyle. Never go anywhere without an emergency snack on your person, and try not to abuse your new telekinetic powers.

Thanks, but i have been adapting..i eat very little meat already..but now i am weaning myself off dairy too.
it is for both reasons - mostly health.
I have been vegetarian for long stretches in my life but the last 8 years i haven't bothered because i deemed myself 'too busy'
well the too busy has made me sick fat and tired all the time. i need to get back on the horse
(between you me and the wall...i still have eggs in the fridge and hard cheeses...don't tell)

personally i think the difference between vegetarianism and veganism is the math.
with one you can always substitute a dairy protein in your meal with the other you have to find the combinations to make a complete protein - nuts and legumes, rice and beans etc..
a regular american diet asks for no thought..eat whatever is at the end of your wrist.
to eat plant centric you need to think about everything thing you are eating especially before you eat it.
btw if someone were to ask me out on a date and took me to a steak house - i will be damned if i am ordering a salad.
i'm conscious not crazy.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby The Butcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Poutine is delicious on occasion. But it's not an everyday food.

Oh, it surely can be...for a while anyways.

I always think it's strange that other places don't mix fries, gravy and cheese...it seems pretty straight forward to me. Someone described a fritto pie to me once, and though I can't recall it's exact ingredients, I know i was slightly revolted...and I eat coagulated blood on occasion.
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Return to Off Topic