The Christmas 2011 Thread

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

The Christmas 2011 Thread

Postby HGervais » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:20 pm

So it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, Merry Christmas everyone. I hope everyone is able to celebrate the holiday with someone they care about and that the day finds you happy & safe.

So now the nice stuff is out of the way, what did Santa bring you?
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: The Christmas 2011 Thread

Postby JoshRode » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Books! And more food than I could eat in a week. 'Though I'm gonna try.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Downton Abbey S1, frisbee golf discs, Half Price Books gift card, new power screwdriver, Drood, Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Music
Be Attitude: Respect Yourself/The Staple Singers
Bruckner: 10 Symphonies/Daniel Barenboim- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Schubert: Piano Works 1822-1828/Alfred Brendel
Mahler: Lieder/Pierre Boulez-Wiener Philharmonic
Medelssohn- Violin Concerto/Shostakovich- Violin Concerto 1/Hilary Hahn & Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra

Books
Jaws: Memories From Martha's Vineyard/Matt Taylor
Death In The City of Lights: The Serial Killer of Nazi Occupied Paris/David King

Criterion Blu-ray
Island of Lost Souls
Kuroneko
The Four Feathers
Les Cousins
Le Beau Serge
3 Women
Dazed & Confused

All in all a pretty good haul this Christmas.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:08 pm

santa doesn't come here..
but every year I start buying myself Birthday/Christmas Presents in Late November and stop about the day after Christmas
a Silver ring, a couple of sterling silver pins,
a Zombie Task Force t-shirt from the CDC, a new 32 Gig SD card for my camera,
a boxed set of the Library of America's American Fantastic Tales
and those dvds mentioned elsewhere - Complete Jeeves and Wooster, Cleopatra (1934), Futurama 6, North by Northwest 2 Disc, Jazz Singer 3-disc, and a 9 1/2 Steel Prybar - just fits in my purse for those times you just feel like wrecking something
a little while before that i picked up this sweet baby zombie killing tool - a Brush Axe from Fiskars

i have almost stopped buying toys..i have a few books left on my list.
Arguably Essays by Christopher Hitchens for one.

a friend of mine got a Ryobi Reciprocating Saw from her children..isn't that awesome?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 am

My folks came out and stayed with us for Christmas, which was fantastic. The kids had an amazing Christmas, and I scored these:

Hanging these babies up in the film cave asap.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:26 pm

On Christmas Eve the bulb in my HD TV went out. It lasted about 5 years, but because of the timing the bulb isn't coming until Thursday, even with overnight delivery. This really sucks because I've gotten into Skyrim and had planned on spending the whole 4-day weekend with that.

Got a new TV with some cash from my folks and some convincing of my wife. Sony Bravia 46". The other TV wasn't even capable of 1080p (only i). So I'll be enjoying 13 Assassins tonight on Blu-Ray. We moved the old one into the bedroom, which had only an older SD TV. We won't be fighting over the good TV anymore now either.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Mach6 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm

DVD/Blu Rays:
Big Bang Theory: Season 4 Blu Ray
Fast Five Blu Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo

A Ton of Chicago Sports stuff: Bears’ T-Shirts, The Chicago Bears "Yesterday and Today" Book, Bears hat, & a Chicago Bulls 2012 Calendar. My relatives know I’m a sports nut. They also had a hard time pulling me away from the TV as I was watching the Bulls steal a victory in LA. It’s just too bad the Chicago Bears’ season went down the toilet with the Cutler injury & the Caleb Hanie Era (Error is more like it) at QB for four games.

Miscellanous: A $15 Subway Gift Card, (Basically, Subway sandwiches are my crack cocaine. I’ll finish that card by Tomorrow.). Last, I believe there is a conspiracy amongst my relatives to finish me off with a heart attack with all the Christmas candy & treats that I got. I feel your pain, Josh.
JoshRode wrote:And more food than I could eat in a week. 'Though I'm gonna try
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 pm

The first Abarat book in replacement for my old copy in which the pages were badly glued, the third book in the series : Absolute Midnight, warm socks, chocolate and 150$
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

While I got some nice stuff including a new camera, the best Christmas gift I could possibly have received was the news that my good friend who was diagnosed with her third bout of breast cancer's diagnosis was not nearly as bad as feared. With medication and treatment she'll be fine and live to see her beautiful children grow up. Don't get any better than that. The rest of the shit means nothing, really.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Return to Off Topic