How can I get TV?

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

How can I get TV?

Postby stypee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19 am

Alright, some of you guys have to have an answer to this question:

I just moved into literally, the middle of nowhere (Frisco, NC, google earth, seriously, its nowhere) and I'm on a super fixed income. I can't afford cable.

I bought a gizmo on amazon called the Leaf which is essentially an indoor HD t.v. antenna, it got glowing reviews but sadly, it doesn't work at all in my area except for two weird ass PBS channels.

I can't get an outdoor one, it has to be indoor.

I'm willing to try anything... cheap... Is there a super, mega HD TV indooe antenna or a way I can watch LIVE TV from my computer? Some kind of software? Anything??

There has to be a way to do this... Any of you guys know of any gizmos/software/etc... I can use..?

to give you an idea of my location, my zip code is 27936
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: How can I get TV?

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 pm

The Leaf is doing good. Digital signals only go so far and where you live there are no signals other than the one PBS which is very fringe area.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Pay fer it!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:48 pm

He lives on the outer banks of NC. I'm not sure if anyone has been to it but it's a strange place. It's little islands just far enough out that nothing can get to them. Short of sat. TV I'm not sure what options there are.

I say skip it all. Between Netflix and Hulu who needs TV. Toss in Crackle (which is free, can't get any cheaper than that) and perhaps Crunchyroll if you like Anime or Koldcast perhaps and you'll have more to watch than you'll have time for.

Get one of these, it's cheaper than many antenna's and will work wonders for net streaming http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2400D-LT-Str ... B005JACJ50
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm in the same boat as Marshall. We have cable with 100's of channels and I don't know why. At this point, the only TV I watch are stuff to fall asleep too, so Letterman or Ferguson at night, or I'll flick around to something silly like Bizarre Foods, or something I've seen a thousand times like Seinfeld.

If I'm awake and active around the house, I've been devoting all my time to movies, or TV that I can watch all in one shot off Netflix or DVD. Ever since DVD's came about, I only want to watch TV in season-long spurts as each season hits disc, or just wait until the show's been cancelled and catch up on the entire series all in one shot.

I can see this being an issue if you like sports, which I could care less about. I know there are streaming services for those too though.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby stypee » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:20 pm

The Leaf isn't working, I have to send it back.

I frankly don't want cable, I only wanted the old school, basic network channels... I RARELY watch television at all, even in my old apartment (now known as "transitional apartment" since I'm here now and have been moving my stuff back and forth 83 miles every dam day. Gotta be out by Friday.. I'm a lazy ass) I rarely had it on, maybe three hours a week, if that. I'd sometimes get addicted to daytime t.v. court shows (don't ask) and since I've moved to the Outer Banks, I've developed the need to know the weather at least every few hours. The Weather Channel here in OBX is sort of this bizarre addiction I've noticed that EVERY local has. Even with NO THREATS of bad weather, nearly EVERYONE has it on.. It's kind of funny and weird.

So as far as that whole thing is, I'm at "whatever" ville when it comes to the cable thing... I do need internet since I go back to finish my Masters online in April. Right now, my neighbor, in my new place, has been very nice to allow me to share her internet signal (yes, I'm dropping a few bills a month to her) but I fear she says she may move soon and that will have me paying for full on internet which could go upwards to about 54.95 a month... I'll be staying low key at like 20 or something..

They also screw the people like me who live on the way out part of the island. The cable companies (there are many believe it or not) have the balls to charge and extra 5 bucks for added channels on "basic cable" - like "the history channel, the travel channel, etc. etc." - they call it FAT something, its super lame. I got into a dispute with a charter cable guy on the phone on the stupidity of it and he had no understanding of the concept of what I was trying to explain to him... They recently up'd the very basic to something like 35 bucks or whatever it is..

Anyway, if I can get a goofy antenna thingy, I'll go for it, otherwise, I'm not paying for cable....

Internet, well, that's going to hurt my pockets quite a bit.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:22 pm

mavrach wrote:I'm in the same boat as Marshall. We have cable with 100's of channels and I don't know why. At this point, the only TV I watch are stuff to fall asleep too, so Letterman or Ferguson at night, or I'll flick around to something silly like Bizarre Foods, or something I've seen a thousand times like Seinfeld.

If I'm awake and active around the house, I've been devoting all my time to movies, or TV that I can watch all in one shot off Netflix or DVD. Ever since DVD's came about, I only want to watch TV in season-long spurts as each season hits disc, or just wait until the show's been cancelled and catch up on the entire series all in one shot.

I can see this being an issue if you like sports, which I could care less about. I know there are streaming services for those too though.

MK -

Thanks!

I took your advice and made the investment. When searching ebay to try and find it cheaper, I found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... OC:US:1123

The seller has nothing but positive feedback so I took the risk.. If this is what it says it it, its all I was looking for and both came right into my "antenna budget." I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a massive rip off!
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am

Knowing a little about the Roku my guess would be that the seller has created a private Roku channel that has links to the programing. Basically he's selling his research and time so you can find what he found. As long as it's as good as he promises then it's worth. Let me know what you find on that front.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Knowing a little about the Roku my guess would be that the seller has created a private Roku channel that has links to the programing. Basically he's selling his research and time so you can find what he found. As long as it's as good as he promises then it's worth. Let me know what you find on that front.

Will do, I'm actually kind of excited about it!

I'm probably going to end up with the e-bay guy's stuff first.. Should have Roku by next week I suppose.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Off Topic