The easiest way to convert my laserdiscs to DVD?

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

The easiest way to convert my laserdiscs to DVD?

Postby stypee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I was always baffled by the millions upon millions of dollars Hollywood would spend during the pre-internet days to combat piracy. Macrovision kept conjuring up new ways to defeat piracy but never really succeeded, there was someone out there always a step ahead.

One thing I could never figure out was the Laserdisc.

Granted, it didn't have a rather large market and the majority of its releases were geared towards the film geek. If your willing to look past all that, you'd have to admit, that even with the high priced cost for a laserdisc, it made little sense why Hollywood never really bothered to even attempt on paying off the fine people at Macrovision in developing some sort of guard to prevent Laserdisc's from making their way onto VHS tapes.

If you'd copy a Laserdisc on VHS in SP mode on a HI-FI/HI-GRADE videotape, you got yourself a dam near perfect copy! I used to work at a place called Laserland back in Long Island, NY that rented and sold laserdiscs. They had a niche on the market and did very, very, very well. I'd rent laserdiscs all the time and copy them on to videotape. I don't recall reading anywhere how easy it was to copy a laserdisc to a VHS tape.

So now I'm wondering...

I've always treasured my laserdisc collection, I never sold them off and while there are a few that are quite valuable (believe me, there are not many) I honestly don't regret selling them. It always meant a lot to me that I actually owned a laserdisc player and its something I like to consider quite special. Even Roger Ebert treasures his collection.

Now that I'm piss poor, its time to sell them off. I MIGHT have a handful worth a few bucks, the rest I can probably get around 2 dollars a pop for, even that dam E.T. LD box set that cost me close to 300 bucks is now worthless (that I will not be selling) but I digress..

So what would you guys suggest be the best way to transfer the LD'S to DVD'S?

I'm thinking maybe just hooking the player up to my Samsung DVD recorder and just letting it be as if it were a VHS tape.

Would you guys have any other suggestions on how to do so? Just curious..
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: The easiest way to convert my laserdiscs to DVD?

Postby hoytereden » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:47 pm

I never did get rid of my collection either but most of the titles I did replace with DVD when they came out in that format. I think you're on the right track with simply connecting your LD player directly into your DVD recorder input using whatever the the best output connection your player has. Component?
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: The easiest way to convert my laserdiscs to DVD?

Postby stypee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:29 pm

hoytereden wrote:I never did get rid of my collection either but most of the titles I did replace with DVD when they came out in that format. I think you're on the right track with simply connecting your LD player directly into your DVD recorder input using whatever the the best output connection your player has. Component?

yes, they are component connections.

i think the biggest pain is going to be getting some of the audio commentaries which aren't available on DVD. i'd like to copy both film and commentary. i'm weird that way.

it doesn't really look like i will be selling them at this point, i have to see how this market is going. there is a new online place called laderdsic vault that sells discs but i see they keep having this super-sales (they get their inventory mainly of donations and folks like me) and im sensing their business isn't doing very well.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Off Topic