Most Hilarious (FAIL) CD Packaging Error

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

Most Hilarious (FAIL) CD Packaging Error

Postby stypee » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:19 am

After reading the Verdict Review for the Grateful Dead box set I got a little curious. I've never been a dead fan but was unaware they had produced 13 studio albums. For some reason I had also thought it was four. A friend of mine was a die hard Dead Head when we were in college, so much so that he wrote a review for some form of Dead bootleg every week in the Campus Newspaper. Eventually, under student protest, he was forced to start writing reviews of works by other artists. He was working on the paper for course credit so I don't think you can get any lazier then that.

Any who -

Looking around Amazon I came across what I found to be a hilarious and understandably frustrating packaging error. Ironic it has to do with a Dead album, they must have stoners in their Dead vaults.

Buyer beware of quality control problems with Rhino January 13, 2012
By D. Chamberlain
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase
I just received this Grateful Dead "Built To Last" Digipac CD from Rhino and was very surprised at what I got. Never in all the years I have been a CD buyer have I ever experienced such a blatant quality control issue as this. The CD packaging was the usual high quality packaging you would expect from Rhino. Even the disc itself is professionally screened printed with the Built To Last title. However, they put the Grateful Dead/Built To Last screen print on top of a John Williams "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" soundtrack album! Like I said, never have I seen this kind of mistake before!
Comment |
Was this review helpful to you?
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
Right Packaging, Wrong Music January 18, 2012
By Amazon Customer

Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase
I too ordered this CD and it contains the wrong music on the CD. The packaging was all Grateful Dead like all of the other Rhino releases, but the music is what sounds like a John Williams score for a movie. Someone on the reviews here said it was Harry Potter -- but I wouldn't know. Anyway, I am disappointed because since I opened it and played it, I can't return it. We've contacted Rhino about the problem with the disc. I don't know if this is a bad thing seeing how everyone hated the Grateful Dead album. At least have a good sounding John Williams score in it's place. I just wonder how many people this mishap has affected. Amazon wouldn't have known about it, when they sold it. It looks like it should be what it's supposed to be. Rhino is the company that screwed up this one. If it had been any other Grateful Dead album I might not find this as funny. Beware ordering this title until Rhino comes out with a press release stating that all the cds have the correct music on them.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: Most Hilarious (FAIL) CD Packaging Error

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 am

Having worked in a music store I have seen this once before. It's very rare but not unheard of.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 pm

This happened with one of the first CD's I purchased back around 1992. I paid 34 bucks for a copy of Metallica - And Justice For All, and got what sounded like Aretha Franklin or some other Motown singer. I brought it back to the store, and the clerk and the manager fired it up on their player, and laughed hysterically...

My replacement copy was bad too - I couldn't hear any bass guitar...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Steve T Power wrote:This happened with one of the first CD's I purchased back around 1992. I paid 34 bucks for a copy of Metallica - And Justice For All, and got what sounded like Aretha Franklin or some other Motown singer. I brought it back to the store, and the clerk and the manager fired it up on their player, and laughed hysterically...

I think everyone got that copy. ;-)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:This happened with one of the first CD's I purchased back around 1992. I paid 34 bucks for a copy of Metallica - And Justice For All, and got what sounded like Aretha Franklin or some other Motown singer. I brought it back to the store, and the clerk and the manager fired it up on their player, and laughed hysterically...

Flemming Rasmussen is the devil.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby stypee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:50 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:

Hmmm.. I am intrigued that you and Steve are both from Canada and you both had similar issues...
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

Or Hetfield and Ulrich are just bastards...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Mitchell Hattaway wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

Or Hetfield and Ulrich are just bastards...

Well, yeah...
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Burson_Fouch » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

Many years ago, when I was much younger, I picked up a copy of Alice Cooper's "Lace and Whiskey" album that actually had a Robert Palmer album in the sleeve.

As I got older and musically wiser I came to the conclusion that this was not a bad thing.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 am

Burson_Fouch wrote:Many years ago, when I was much younger, I picked up a copy of Alice Cooper's "Lace and Whiskey" album that actually had a Robert Palmer album in the sleeve.

As I got older and musically wiser I came to the conclusion that this was not a bad thing.

Agreed, I like Cooper but his work is all across the board. Palmer was good fun however.

Metallica are bastards. I refuse to listen to them anymore. I try not to mix a celebrities personal life with their work. I'm not buying their faith, I'm buying an album. This is an exception however. The last straw for me was seeing them preen about accepting spme award less than a week after Newsted left. Not only was the new guy not with them, they could care less that he wasn't their either.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:33 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Burson_Fouch wrote:Many years ago, when I was much younger, I picked up a copy of Alice Cooper's "Lace and Whiskey" album that actually had a Robert Palmer album in the sleeve.

Agreed, I like Cooper but his work is all across the board. Palmer was good fun however.

Metallica are bastards. I refuse to listen to them anymore. I try not to mix a celebrities personal life with their work. I'm not buying their faith, I'm buying an album. This is an exception however. The last straw for me was seeing them preen about accepting spme award less than a week after Newsted left. Not only was the new guy not with them, they could care less that he wasn't their either.

They actually didn't replace Newstead for about 2 years. They didn't have a replacement bassist until AFTER St. Anger was in the can (Hetfield and Bob Rock played bass on the album). For a while they were a three piece. Trujillio didn't come into the picture until they had to start thinking about tours again.

And you missed out on their best album since 1988 if you skipped Death Magnetic.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

that's the weird thing though. At the time he was announced as the replacement almost immediately. That's why I thought it was strange. I can't remember what the award was but I asked a friend who was big into them at the time and he said that the new guy wasn't honored because the award was for past achievement. Then St. Anger came out and it was speculated that he wasn't on it (I never knew for sure.)
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:At the time he was announced as the replacement almost immediately.

Your memory is incorrect. Newsted left the band in 2001, announcing his departure immediately. Trujillo got the gig in 2003. He was hired before the release of St. Anger, but after it was already recorded. He played nothing on it.

And based on Some Kind of Monster, Trujillo was hired as a full-fledged one-quarter member of the band, which makes the other guys far from bastards. That means Trujillo was earning boatloads of cash as part of a band he had no role in building. Metallica could easily have hired a bassist and paid him union scale if they'd wanted to be bastards.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:At the time he was announced as the replacement almost immediately.

Your memory is incorrect. Newsted left the band in 2001, announcing his departure immediately. Trujillo got the gig in 2003. He was hired before the release of St. Anger, but after it was already recorded. He played nothing on it.

And based on Some Kind of Monster, Trujillo was hired as a full-fledged one-quarter member of the band, which makes the other guys far from bastards. That means Trujillo was earning boatloads of cash as part of a band he had no role in building. Metallica could easily have hired a bassist and paid him union scale if they'd wanted to be bastards.

He was made a "partner" in the business... Actually a pretty classy move.

Look back through the bands history and you'll find that their reputations as money grubbing assholes is largely undeserved.

Gene Simmons on the other hand, there is one deplorable human being.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 pm

It's not a CD, it's DVD, but whatever marketing guy came up with the bright idea to design The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo DVD to look like a burned DVD is, to put it as politely as a foul-mouthed Aussie like myself can, both a complete and total freakin moron, and a complete and total freakin genius. I mean, it was so convincing, people actually were returning the DVD to the store claiming they'd been ripped off!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Attrage wrote:It's not a CD, it's DVD, but whatever marketing guy came up with the bright idea to design The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo DVD to look like a burned DVD is, to put it as politely as a foul-mouthed Aussie like myself can, both a complete and total freakin moron, and a complete and total freakin genius. I mean, it was so convincing, people actually were returning the DVD to the store claiming they'd been ripped off!

We had that happen repeatedly with Borat.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:49 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Attrage wrote:It's not a CD, it's DVD, but whatever marketing guy came up with the bright idea to design The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo DVD to look like a burned DVD is, to put it as politely as a foul-mouthed Aussie like myself can, both a complete and total freakin moron, and a complete and total freakin genius. I mean, it was so convincing, people actually were returning the DVD to the store claiming they'd been ripped off!

I haven't seen Borat, same thing?

I only just noticed the other day when I popped in GWTDT to listen to the Fincher commentary that it has one little giveaway - it has a little imprint of her razor-blade on it. Easy to miss though.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:46 am

Attrage wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

I haven't seen Borat, same thing?

I only just noticed the other day when I popped in GWTDT to listen to the Fincher commentary that it has one little giveaway - it has a little imprint of her razor-blade on it. Easy to miss though.

Yeah, Borat was even patterned after a Memorex disc, they called it Demorez or or something... and had the mangled English tagline, "Is Real? Is Demorez!" or whatever on there.

Edit: Also, Don't watch Borat...
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Off Topic