I Gotta Ask a Stupid Questiom

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

I Gotta Ask a Stupid Questiom

Postby stypee » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:50 am

Okay - this spam nightmare -

I've been to message boards before that have gotten slammed with spam. I've always wanted to know - do they actually think people are stupid enough to click on these links? I'm dead serious. I can't comprehend it. It makes no sense to me. Seriously, unless it's a hacker just trying to piss people off - does it really serve a commercial purpose? Is it effective? I never understood why they do this - it's bothered me for years but never had the courage to ask because it is kind of a dumb question.

An idea:

To avoid the nuisance for forum members that have been here as long as I have and everyone else.

What about having some sort of security code when signing up? I thought that it would be an good idea to have to punch one in before a post but that would be an aggravating nightmare and unfair to all of us. is there a way to set it up where if you just signed up you would be required to punch in a code and then, for example, 3 or 4 times before you can post having to do the code thing over again while not affecting regular forum members?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: I Gotta Ask a Stupid Questiom

Postby mavrach » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:06 pm

I preferred the ones that act like confused foreigners:

"Thank you for this informations, this is very helpful website!"

I've also become fond of the lengthy typo-laden sports reviews featuring Asian players.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby stypee » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:06 pm

mavrach wrote:I preferred the ones that act like confused foreigners:

"Thank you for this informations, this is very helpful website!"

I've also become fond of the lengthy typo-laden sports reviews featuring Asian players.

That's quite lovely but still doesn't answer my question.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Hey sorry, that's all I've got ;-)

I don't know, most spam seems to rely on people being too computer illiterate to know that it's junk mail to say "Ooooh, watches for sale!!" and click on the links. Like when my dad accidentally killed my old computer by clicking on a popup window that said my antivirus was out of date. But being a film discussion forum, centered around a technology medium like DVD's, everybody here would be at least slightly savvy enough.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Tom B » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:46 pm

I can't imagine spam being effective. Personally, I would never http://WWW.BUY.COM from someone who tried to include http://WWW.SECRET.COM links embedded on a message board post, especially when the topic is http://WWW.MOVIES.COM.
Tom B
Judge

Return to Off Topic