I wish.......

If you feel the need to talk about things other than entertainment, just keep it clean

I wish.......

Postby hoytereden » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:39 pm

All the old- timers who used to frequent this site would come back. Pretty lonely here. Seems like just a few of us from the old days left. Not many threads even getting responses. I'm sad. :(
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: I wish.......

Postby mavrach » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Hoyt are you on Facebook?

The group there is thriving and posts regularly. We even have some old faces from years back. But yeah I'm sad too that the Jury Room is so weakened. But even before the Facebook group the JR was slowing down. I don't know if it's a social media change in general or what, but it's comvenient to have all the communication in one place.

Myself, I still visit honestly because there are still some people here that didn't make the jump.

they'll have to pry the Jury Room from my cold, dead hands!
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby hoytereden » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm

mavrach wrote:Hoyt are you on Facebook?

The group there is thriving and posts regularly. We even have some old faces from years back. But yeah I'm sad too that the Jury Room is so weakened. But even before the Facebook group the JR was slowing down. I don't know if it's a social media change in general or what, but it's comvenient to have all the communication in one place.

Myself, I still visit honestly because there are still some people here that didn't make the jump.

they'll have to pry the Jury Room from my cold, dead hands!

I'm not on Facebook even though I have a page. Maybe I'm anti-social media? ;-)
Just seemed to be a mass exodus from the JR to Facebook but I have a tendency to stay where I'm comfortable so I didn't follow the pack.
Yea, my hands are getting colder, I'm losing feeling in them, so I'm stayin' put! :lol:

PS
We now have a better chance of winning the contests. :D
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:11 pm

It was gradual really. Check out this thread, it's from 2009:

http://www.dvdverdict.com/juryroom/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3692&hilit=enterprise

Then the spam attack killed it. A lot of us were already Facebook friends with each other, and already talked movies on our own pages. Some of us have an app called GetGlue that lets you "check in" to every movie you watch and you get little discussions there. Gabriel took the next step and grouped us all together there. There are 76 members now!
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 pm

mavrach wrote:It was gradual really. Check out this thread, it's from 2009:

http://www.dvdverdict.com/juryroom/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3692&hilit=enterprise

Then the spam attack killed it. A lot of us were already Facebook friends with each other, and already talked movies on our own pages. Some of us have an app called GetGlue that lets you "check in" to every movie you watch and you get little discussions there. Gabriel took the next step and grouped us all together there. There are 76 members now!

I guess I noticed it more after the Spam incident(s). I may drift over, who knows?
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Facebook just doesn't have the same structure though. I'll pop in eventually but it can't really be the same.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Facebook just doesn't have the same structure though. I'll pop in eventually but it can't really be the same.

I actually like it better because you get almost instant answers and it's easier to share links. A more immediate, active experience imho.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I have nothing against the Jury Room. It's just that PHP message boards are pretty much dead to me. They're just not the best way to interact with people on the Interwebs anymore.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 pm

I can't find the facebook group. There are about three, one seemed close but had no real discussion, all use the image from here.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I can't find the facebook group. There are about three, one seemed close but had no real discussion, all use the image from here.

Is the group invite only? Mkiker if anything Friend Request one of us and we can invite you. I'm Matt Avrach, or find someone whose name you know from here.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Polynikes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account. There is no reason why people should not post carefully considered and well crafted prose on Facebook (and doubtless this happens in groups), but it just seems to me that the nature of Facebook seems to encourage a greater volume of superficial, vacuous or thoughtless postings than I have found on websites, blogs or even message boards. I am sure there are good Facebook groups out there, and my decision to shun it for the most part may not be completely rational or explicable, and is probably prompted by Luddite tendencies. Perhaps the proliferation of distracting photographs does not help, and the ability to send a few words in one line bursts leads to less well considered thoughts.

Or as my son would more succinctly put it, I am "an old fuddy duddy stuck in the last century"! Anyway, I remain just a message board user for now, so I shall keep posting here, and I hope others will continue to do so too.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 pm

That's true Polonikes but it can be controlled to a degree. If you don't want to fully "defriend" somebody, you can at least unsubscribe from them. You get people posting political rants (constructive or otherwise), silly photos, serious updates, the full range. I'm sure some of my acquaintences are sick of my movie checkins too ;-) But the JR group on Facebook is the same old group that was here.

Facebook is also really convenient. Aside from the Jury Room, there were several other websites I used to regularly check out. Various local events and such, all with their own dedicated pages. Now they're all on Facebook. And you can also invite your friends into the JR easily, make friends with the JR members, etc. And updates there show up in your regular feed, which you also have the ability to subscribe or unsubscribe as needed.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 pm

I have one friend who constantly posts pictures of "Grumpy Cat," another who alternates between photos of toy trains and absolute rage against Obama, and another who posts clean-cut pun humour.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm

I prefer forums like this for the very reasons already mentioned. It can be slower, but it's organized as well. You won't have to scroll through pages of "if you share this a baby rabbit will be saved" or "this is so sad, read it and ruin your day like I ruined mine" posts.

Rather the group was private or not I couldn't find. I was looking for Verdict however which brought up similar sites one of which had all the right names.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 am

I understand. These forums are turning into myspace. I drop by now and again and I get kind of depressed. These boards used to light up with discussions. I think the main frustration had much to do with the "spam attacks" - it got so annoying. I think the fun part of being on Facebook is that we know what each other looks like and we can share bits and piece of our true selves that we wouldn't here. It's fun. But I do understand your point very much. I don't wish to see this place to turn into a ghost town, I really enjoyed coming here. I hope we can bring the old timers back.

and I hope you elders join Facebook - get with the program, geeze!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 pm

We can't light up with discussions when there are only a few bulbs left. ;-) I felt like I knew who people were here when we used to have the periodical threads titled Who are you? or the like and people opened up about themselves and posted photos. I hope the site doesn't become a ghost town either but there's a lot of echoes in here. :cry:
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 pm

I will always have my passion and love for farts. They will go where I go and you must all join us on FB. I'm actually depressed being here right now. Seriously guys - stop by. Even if you just join Facebook to be part of the group! We miss you!

..... and I love my farts.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:47 pm

I created a Facebook account the other day, and joined the Jury Room 4.0. group, courtesy of some former Jury Room members. However, I still intend to keep reading and posting on this site. I am not a Facebook user by instinct; I only joined to see what my teenage son was posting, but he refuses to "befriend" me!
Polynikes
City Attorney

HAPPY ST. DAVID'S DAY!

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Anyway, as I do every year...

WELSH COOKIES

½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup shortening
6 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
½ cup milk
1 tsp. salt
1 cup raisins or currants
1 tsp. nutmeg

Mix together butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and milk. Sift together and add dry ingredients. Add raisins and mix. (A heavy-duty mixer comes in handy for this; dough is stiff.) Roll out dough to about 1/8" and cut into circles. Bake as you would pancakes on a 400 electric griddle. Do not overbake; they don't take long to brown and overbaking makes them hard as a rock. Watch carefully and you will see them begin to puff up in about 1 ½ minutes and that means it's time to turn them. The second side will take only about 1 minute. They will be soft but as they cool on a rack they harden a little. Makes about 6 doz.

To quote Larry Ehrhardt, "Enjoy!"
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks... whatever it takes to bring people back, uh? ;-)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Thanks... whatever it takes to bring people back, uh? ;-)

Never underestimate the power of Welsh cookies.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Return to Off Topic