New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby cdouglas » Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 am

Hey folks,

Just wanted to invite you all to check out the last "Sounds and Sights of Cinema" podcast, which this week puts the spotlight on electronic film scores. On the program, you'll hear music from:

Starman - John Carpenter
Commando - James Horner
Runaway - Jerry Goldsmith
The Shining - Wendy Carlos
Fight Club - The Dust Brothers
Green Card - Hans Zimmer
Twin Peaks - Angelo Badalamenti
Legend - Tangerine Dream
Daylight - Randy Edelman
Heartbeeps - John Williams
Blade Runner - Vangelis

Bleeps, blorps, and blips galore! Plus, you'll hear my review of Terminator: Salvation. So give it a listen and get in touch with your synthetic side.

Next week: The film music of composer Philip Glass, plus a review of Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell!
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue May 26, 2009 7:12 am

Great selections Clark!
I'm just wondering why you chose Starman to represent Carpenter. Escape from New York, Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13 are much more iconic IMHO.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby BrettCullum » Tue May 26, 2009 8:00 am

OMG! I am so excited! This is awesome, and my new favorite episode of the program. YAY! I am jumping up and down!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
User avatar
BrettCullum
Judge
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby cdouglas » Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Great selections Clark!
I'm just wondering why you chose Starman to represent Carpenter. Escape from New York, Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13 are much more iconic IMHO.


Well, I do try to mix it up with a blend of popular and less well-known stuff... I don't necessarily want to do the ultimate greatest hits of whatever category I'm doing on every show. But they'll turn up somewhere, certainly... Escape from New York might appear on a "post-apocalyptic" show, for instance, or Halloween might appear during the annual Halloween horror music show.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby cdouglas » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 am

BrettCullum wrote:OMG! I am so excited! This is awesome, and my new favorite episode of the program. YAY! I am jumping up and down!


8) It was done at your request, sir.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby Steve T Power » Tue May 26, 2009 10:27 am

I'll be tuning in as soon as i get home.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby Carl Wonders » Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 am

I'm going to throw out a couple of other scores that I thought might have been on the show (I don't read the show notes before hand):

Witness - Maurice Jarre: Not a bad score, though I think that the idea of using an all-synthesizer score for a movie about the Amish was a ludicrous one (I know he did it because the Amish shun musical instruments, but I would think that they would think even less of electronic musical instruments). Silva (I think) released a string version of the Building the Barn cue that is actually quite good.

Tron - Wendy Carlos: maybe it's because of my age (30), but this score has a lot of nostalgia for me. Probably because of all the quarters I lost in the Discs of Tron game.
Carl Wonders
Paralegal
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:27 am

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby BrettCullum » Fri May 29, 2009 3:01 pm

There could have been tons more included... electronic scores defined the '70s and '80s. They never really stopped either. I love all the electronic scores. They claim FORBIDDEN PLANET was the first one... maybe that should be there. Wendy Carlos who did TRON also did CLOCKWORK ORANGE!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
User avatar
BrettCullum
Judge
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby cdouglas » Fri May 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Certainly plenty of electronic film scores out there. Alas, I have but an hour each week. It's definitely a theme I'll return to at some point... maybe I'll make it really obscure and only feature music written on Moog synthesizers.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby Carl Wonders » Sat May 30, 2009 4:39 pm

BrettCullum wrote:There could have been tons more included... electronic scores defined the '70s and '80s. They never really stopped either. I love all the electronic scores. They claim FORBIDDEN PLANET was the first one... maybe that should be there. Wendy Carlos who did TRON also did CLOCKWORK ORANGE!

Too bad that Forbidden Planet is (IMHO) more a collection of sound effects rather than actual music. Wasn't Wendy Carlos still Walter back in the Clockwork Orange days?

I think a Therimin-themed show would be fun. Even Bernard Herrmann used it once.
Carl Wonders
Paralegal
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:27 am

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby G_Vinny » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Dear Jerry Goldsmith groupie,

If I had not been told differently, I would have thought Carpenter's submission was from Vangelis. Then again, it wasn't as rich as a Vangelis piece would be. I too would have liked to hear a selection from "Escape from New York," but I'm already privy to the fact that you do mix it up (you really took me back with "Green Card" - Gerard Depardieu? WHAT?!.... OK!). For me, that does make your show more interesting. Anyway, my favorite three cues are from Zimmer, Williams, and Horner in that order. It seems that I may be genetically predisposed to liking Zimmer like I'm genetically predisposed to liking chicken....
"Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate; and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run West of the Moon, East of the Sun."
User avatar
G_Vinny
Law Clerk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: New Podcast - Electronic Film Scores!

Postby cdouglas » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:16 pm

G_Vinny wrote:Dear Jerry Goldsmith groupie,

If I had not been told differently, I would have thought Carpenter's submission was from Vangelis. Then again, it wasn't as rich as a Vangelis piece would be. I too would have liked to hear a selection from "Escape from New York," but I'm already privy to the fact that you do mix it up (you really took me back with "Green Card" - Gerard Depardieu? WHAT?!.... OK!). For me, that does make your show more interesting. Anyway, my favorite three cues are from Zimmer, Williams, and Horner in that order. It seems that I may be genetically predisposed to liking Zimmer like I'm genetically predisposed to liking chicken....


John Carpenter has written some effective film scores, but his abilities are fairly simple. Much like Clint Eastwood, he can get the job done, but his real strengths are behind the camera. Meanwhile, Vangelis was more or less a master of the medium for a while (though he never really evolved when the 1980s ended).

I'm fond of Zimmer's Green Card, too... particularly that selection I featured on the show.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am


Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest