Show Topic Request Thread

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Show Topic Request Thread

Postby cdouglas » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:55 am

Hey folks,

Several show topic requests have all ready been scattered throughout this particular forum. Gabriel wisely suggested that a thread be created specifically for this purpose, so here you go.

Is there a particular show topic that you would like to hear? Obviously, I may not be able to grant every single request, but I'll do what I can.

So far, I believe we have requests for...

- Non-Hitchcock Herrmann
- Ridley Scott/Hans Zimmer
- Scores featuring the Theramin

What would you like to hear?
cdouglas
Judge

Re: Show Topic Request Thread

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:05 pm

As i said before, just to throw it into the public forum: Orchestrated Video Game scores!

Marvel at the awesomeness that is Greg Edmonson's main theme for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 pm

My new favorites Spike Lee\Terence Blanchard.

Maybe one about ''pop'' stars who wrote scores like Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Björk, Clint Mansell (former Pop Will Eat Itself) or Quincy Jones.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Double Post Alert!

Jazz scores like:
Miles Davis - Ascenceur pour l'échafaud
Herbie Hanckock - 'Round Midnight
Howard Shore - Naked Lunch (featuring Ornette Coleman)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:54 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Double Post Alert!

Jazz scores like:

Request granted!
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:00 am

cdouglas wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Double Post Alert!

Jazz scores like:

Request granted!

Thanks a lot Clark - great show!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Just a note... another round of director/composer collaboration shows will be kicking off next week. If you've got a relationship that you'd like the show to explore that hasn't been done yet, submit your requests now!
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 pm

You could go for something more esoteric and do one about Herzog/Popol Vuh. I've already mentioned Spike Lee/Terence Blanchard; I only started to notice Blanchard's work late in the game... I'd also suggest one of my favorite team of all time - Cronenberg/Howard Shore.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Michael Stailey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:44 pm

On the more obscure front, you could do Marc Shaiman and Rob Reiner. While I wouldn't consider the collaboration the pinnacle of Marc's work by any means, I do feel his scoring is underappreciated by the soundtrack community.
Michael Stailey
Chief Justice

Postby cdouglas » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Some of these will definitely be included in this batch.

If anybody else has a collaboration they'd like to request (or any other type of show theme, for that matter), this is place to do it! Let me know what you'd like to hear.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby ottobud » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:42 am

How about a show devoted to themes/music from 50's sci-fi flicks? Some of these are my favourites and bring back a lot of memories. Composers that come to mind: Hans Salter, Paul Sawtell, Leith Stevens, Herman Stein, and many more. Thanks!
ottobud
Law Clerk

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey Clark,

Forgot to thank you for the Ridley Scott/Hans Zimmer goodness a few weeks back - i've got that episode saved on my computron.

Keep on rocking in the free world!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Hey Clark,

Forgot to thank you for the Ridley Scott/Hans Zimmer goodness a few weeks back - i've got that episode saved on my computron.

Keep on rocking in the free world!

Strength and honor, Steve T. Power. Strength and honor.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:12 pm

How about a show about great B movie scores?

Beastmaster 2
Krull

etc
Kevin
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:19 am

Hey Clark! I've got two suggestions that will probably be easy for you to fill. I know you love Jerry Goldsmith and I've recently seen Seconds which features a very memorable score - I'd love to hear more from him.

Same goes for Elliott Goldenthal - His score for Interview With The Vampire is a favorite , I just saw a few minutes of Titus but the score looks very promising.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Hey Clark! I've got two suggestions that will probably be easy for you to fill. I know you love Jerry Goldsmith and I've recently seen Seconds which features a very memorable score - I'd love to hear more from him.

Same goes for Elliott Goldenthal - His score for Interview With The Vampire is a favorite , I just saw a few minutes of Titus but the score looks very promising.

Any excuse to do another Jerry Goldsmith show is an excuse I'll accept. :) I'll try to include some Seconds when I get around to that. And yeah, Goldenthal is fantastic. Titus is one of my favorite Goldenthal scores (and interestingly enough, it was shamelessly ripped by Tyler Bates for 300... so much so that it turned into a legal matter). I'll put both of these requests on the docket for the near future.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 pm

How about Maurice Jarre? I'm not that familiar with him, but he has quite the résumé (Lawrence Of Arabia!). I thought about him since I had to view Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum) for my German film course - a very unusual score to say the least.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:How about Maurice Jarre? I'm not that familiar with him, but he has quite the résumé (Lawrence Of Arabia!). I thought about him since I had to view Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum) for my German film course - a very unusual score to say the least.

I remember reading somewhere that Jarre was credited for Lawrence but actually wrote very little of the score. Truth? Or revisionist conspiracy theory BS?
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Carl Wonders » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:21 am

I've actually never heard the Jarre/Lawrence claims before. I'm inclined to not believe them, but who knows?

I'll second a Jarre show. He wrote a lot of great music, though he did make some bizarre choices as well. Scoring a move about the Amish with only synthesizers comes to mind.
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Postby cdouglas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:49 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:How about Maurice Jarre? I'm not that familiar with him, but he has quite the résumé (Lawrence Of Arabia!). I thought about him since I had to view Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum) for my German film course - a very unusual score to say the least.

I actually did a Jarre show shortly after his passing... but that's not to say that we couldn't put together another one. :-)
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:55 am

cdouglas wrote:

I actually did a Jarre show shortly after his passing... but that's not to say that we couldn't put together another one. :-)

I forgot to look in the podcast archives to see if you already did one. ;-) Will listen to it today thanks.

Re Steve: according to Imdb and Wikipedia Maurice Jarre did write the score for Lawrence. but only after two other composers were rejected.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:45 am

Would devoting an entire show to John Carpenter's music be too minimalist for you? I have to admit that I rarely listen to scores on their own and have no idea how well his music stands once you've removed it from his movies.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Would devoting an entire show to John Carpenter's music be too minimalist for you? I have to admit that I rarely listen to scores on their own and have no idea how well his music stands once you've removed it from his movies.

Nah, I'd be up for it. I admit that I rarely go beyond the "Best of John Carpenter" compilation CD I've put together, as he's written some iconic (if very uncomplicated) themes but isn't terribly good at creating fully fleshed-out scores beyond those themes. They're effective enough in the films, but tend to be repetitive and simplistic. Similar criticisms could be leveled at Clint Eastwood's film music.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Would devoting an entire show to John Carpenter's music be too minimalist for you? I have to admit that I rarely listen to scores on their own and have no idea how well his music stands once you've removed it from his movies.

Nah, I'd be up for it. I admit that I rarely go beyond the "Best of John Carpenter" compilation CD I've put together, as he's written some iconic (if very uncomplicated) themes but isn't terribly good at creating fully fleshed-out scores beyond those themes. They're effective enough in the films, but tend to be repetitive and simplistic. Similar criticisms could be leveled at Clint Eastwood's film music.

Oh I agree, for the most part. Watching Escape.From L.A. for the fourth time I noticed a flamenco influence on a perticular theme and was pretty surprised - but then Carpenter collaborated with Shirley Walker on that score, that piece triggered my show request . ;-) It's been a while but I think his score for In The Mouth Of Madness is also ''deeper'' because he collaborated with Jim Lang. Maybe you could include those collaborations as well as Morricone's score for The Thing. Not really familiar with Eastwood's scores though.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
cdouglas wrote:

Oh I agree, for the most part. Watching Escape.From L.A. for the fourth time I noticed a flamenco influence on a perticular theme and was pretty surprised - but then Carpenter collaborated with Shirley Walker on that score, that piece triggered my show request . ;-) It's been a while but I think his score for In The Mouth Of Madness is also ''deeper'' because he collaborated with Jim Lang. Maybe you could include those collaborations as well as Morricone's score for The Thing. Not really familiar with Eastwood's scores though.

The odd thing about Morricone's score for The Thing is that it feels more like Carpenter than Morricone (though it's considerably more complex). I'd definitely include those collaborations. And yeah, I suspect Shirley Walker's instrumentation/co-composing had a lot to do with the increased depth of Escape From LA (she had a way of making everyone she worked with sound above-average).
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 am

Hey Clark! It's been a long while since somebody requested a show. Your review of The Last Tempation Of Christ reminded me that I'd be intrigued by a show centered around rock/pop musicians who did soundtrack work.

A couple of ideas:

Peter Gabriel
Clint Mansell
Björk
Stewart Copeland
Randy Newman
Trent Reznor
Danny Elfman

I'm sure there are a few more.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Hey Clark! It's been a long while since somebody requested a show. Your review of The Last Tempation Of Christ reminded me that I'd be intrigued by a show centered around rock/pop musicians who did soundtrack work.

A couple of ideas:

Peter Gabriel
Clint Mansell
Björk
Stewart Copeland
Randy Newman
Trent Reznor
Danny Elfman

A splendid idea! I'll put a show along these lines together within the next few weeks.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Hey Clark! It's been a long while since somebody requested a show. Your review of The Last Tempation Of Christ reminded me that I'd be intrigued by a show centered around rock/pop musicians who did soundtrack work.

A couple of ideas:

Peter Gabriel
Clint Mansell
Björk
Stewart Copeland
Randy Newman
Trent Reznor
Danny Elfman

A splendid idea! I'll put a show along these lines together within the next few weeks.

Great! Thanks!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm

How about Jon Brion (because I Heart Huckabees) or Trevor Jones (because Dark City) ?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema