New Podcast - New and Recent CD Release

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

New Podcast - New and Recent CD Release

Postby cdouglas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 am

Hey folks,

The latest edition of The Sounds and Sights of Cinema is up and running! It's time for another New and Recent CD Releases program, in which we check out the latest in film music. On this week's show, you'll hear...

Coco Avant Chanel - Alexandre Desplat
Year One - Theodore Shapiro
Caprica - Bear McCreary
Land of the Lost - Michael Giacchino
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Steve Jablonsky
Up - Michael Giacchino
Terminator: Salvation - Danny Elfman
The Informers - Christopher Young
Ice Age: The Meltdown - John Powell
Grey Gardens - Rachel Portman

Plus, I'll share my open letter to the cast and crew of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Give it a listen and have a good time. Remember, The Sounds and Sights of Cinema is the only film music program to receive an official endorsement from a state governor!
cdouglas
Judge

Re: New Podcast - New and Recent CD Release

Postby Carl Wonders » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 am

Clark, good stuff as usual. The John Powell score was an especially nice surprise both because it's not a film I would have seen/heard otherwise and because it was great to hear Powell put the electronics away and write a fabulous old-fashioned orchestral score.

Boy is Michael Giacchino ever on a roll! He amazes me with the way he adapts styles to fit whatever movie he's scoring, be it evoking Barry/Mancini for The Incredibles or doing various levels or sci-fi cheese in Cloverfield or Land of the Lost. I'm at the point where I pretty much have no idea what to expect, but I know it's going to be good.

As for your review for Transformers, I totally agree, and I like how you directed it at Michael Bay and others. I've never been a big fan of Bay and this film is no exception. Probably why I found this article on The Onion quite apt:

Michael Bay Signs $50m deal to f*** up Thundercats

(P.S. I was listening to the show as I wrote this, and your comment about watching Windows Media Player just made me choke on my drink.....)
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema