New Podcast - 1984

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

New Podcast - 1984

Postby cdouglas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 am

Hey kids,

The latest Sounds and Sights of Cinema Podcast is up and running, spotlighting music from the year 1984! So get your Walter Mondale on and take a listen to the musical selections on display...

The Karate Kid - Bill Conti
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams
The Lonely Guy - Jerry Goldsmith
The River - John Williams
Beverly Hills Cop - Harold Faltermeyer
Body Double - Pino Donaggio
Under the Volcano - Alex North
Top Secret! - Maurice Jarre
Red Dawn - Basil Poledouris
Splash - Lee Holdridge
Ghostbusters - Elmer Bernstein
The Natural - Randy Newman

Plus, my review of The Hurt Locker. Give it a listen. Four out of five Wall Street businessmen claim The Sounds and Sights of Cinema is more addictive than cocaine!
cdouglas
Judge

Re: New Podcast - 1984

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:39 am

What a great year for movies! I was young enough to think even that INDIANA JONES flick was very cool. But oddly enough the one score that sticks out to me on this list was BODY DOUBLE. No matter what you think of the film, the score was awesomely done by Pino Donaggio. Great stuff there!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:37 am

BrettCullum wrote:What a great year for movies! I was young enough to think even that INDIANA JONES flick was very cool. But oddly enough the one score that sticks out to me on this list was BODY DOUBLE. No matter what you think of the film, the score was awesomely done by Pino Donaggio. Great stuff there!

That is a cool score. I have a soft spot for the film, but that's probably because I tend to be a big fan of pre-Bonfire of the Vanities DePalma. I know a lot of the reviews of his early films on those site have been pretty negative, but the man had style. DePalma and Donaggio worked well together... Carrie is an amazing score, imho.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 am

It is my "not so secret" shame that I love DePalma. I always have, and I make no apologies for it. He makes fun B-movies that entertain me. And yes, his pairing with Donaggio was brilliant. CARRIE, DRESSED TO KILL... they all have places on my iPod.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema