John Hughes podcast

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

John Hughes podcast

Postby Carl Wonders » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:06 am

Hi Clark, I didn't see an "official" thread for the podcast, so hope you don't mind my creating one for myself....

Good stuff as usual, although I always thought that Hughes' films were typically weak in the music department. IMO, the majority of the better tracks are soundtrack based instead of score for most of his movies (the most memorable bit of music for me in Ferris Bueller was Hughes' wonderful use of the theme from Star Wars, a bit that always makes me crack up). In fact, I'd venture that the Hughes/Ira Newborn collaboration ranks up there along with James Cameron/Brad Fiedel on the most unfortunate director/composer pairings list. The fact that some of the best music from the films (the museum scene from Ferris Bueller in particular) wasn't even written by Newborn makes me think even less of him.

Bruce Broughton is another one of those composers along with John Debney who always makes me wonder why the guy doesn't get better assignments. Broughton's scores for Silverado and Young Sherlock Holmes are fantastic, but too often he ends up scoring tripe like Baby's Day Out.
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Re: John Hughes podcast

Postby cdouglas » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Hey Carl,

Yeah, my apologies about forgetting to create a thread for last week's show. Shame on myself! I agree with you that Hughes' films weren't exactly loaded with terrific music. Newborn wrote a lot of less-than-listenable film scores back in the day. And yes, I also agree that Bruce Broughton is an amazing composer. He's done a lot of very fine work, but for some reason he just doesn't get good assignments any more. These days, he's mostly stuck scoring Hallmark films and such (writing rather good music for them, too). Part of the problem is that Hans Zimmer's Remote Control crowd has more or less hijacked a vast chunk of the mainstream films these days, leaving little room for old-fashioned traditionalists like Broughton.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Carl Wonders wrote:In fact, I'd venture that the Hughes/Ira Newborn collaboration ranks up there along with James Cameron/Brad Fiedel on the most unfortunate director/composer pairings list.

Brad Fiedel may be a semi-hack, but his score for T2 is fantastic, and the music in True Lies when Jamie Lee Curtis is trapped in the speeding limo is brilliant in its mounting tension.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Carl Wonders » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:57 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Carl Wonders wrote:In fact, I'd venture that the Hughes/Ira Newborn collaboration ranks up there along with James Cameron/Brad Fiedel on the most unfortunate director/composer pairings list.

Brad Fiedel may be a semi-hack, but his score for T2 is fantastic, and the music in True Lies when Jamie Lee Curtis is trapped in the speeding limo is brilliant in its mounting tension.

I agree with you on the True Lies comment. The opening cue to the film and the one you mention are quite good. Unfortunately, the rest of the music is typical Fiedel droning, though at least he used an orchestra this time around. My biggest beef with Fiedel is that he often comes up with really good themes (i.e. Terminator) and doesn't know what to do with them. When Arnold pulled Jamie Lee Curtis from the limo, I found myself thinking "Where was this kind of music earlier in the film?"

To be honest, I didn't think the T2 score was anything special, and I found myself wishing that someone else had been given the theme to play with (one of the big things missing from the last two scores in the series).
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Postby Carl Wonders » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:01 am

cdouglas wrote:Part of the problem is that Hans Zimmer's Remote Control crowd has more or less hijacked a vast chunk of the mainstream films these days, leaving little room for old-fashioned traditionalists like Broughton.

Ugh..don't even get me started on Remote Control nee Media Ventures. The only composer I really care for who came out of that group is John Powell, mostly because he's managed to find a style for himself other than "Zimmer Lite"

edit: the fellow (I'm blanking on his name) who ghostwrote for Zimmer on Hannibal was also quite good -- the Dante opera cue is easily the best from the film IMO.
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema