Iron Man 2

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Iron Man 2

Postby Carl Wonders » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:43 am

Probably a little behind the times, but I just noticed that John Debney is scoring Iron Man 2. I'm very interested to hear what he comes up with, because he rarely gets to do big films like this, yet when he does, he delivers some really good music.

Hopefully he'll deliver some really fine music and won't be relegated back to scoring fluffy drivel like Valentine's Day!
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby cdouglas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:35 pm

While I often find Debney a little generic, I'm sure it'll be a huge improvement from the drivel that was Ramin Djawadi's score for the first Iron Man flick. It was the one really sub-par, mediocre element of an otherwise excellent popcorn flick.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 am

I know the entirety of the soundtrack album takes the 'maximum overdrive' approach and is an AC/DC greatest hits collection.

Unlike Who Made Who, it's all album cuts though - no rarities.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cavinsmither » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 am

Its really big one movie which prepared by John Debney and its looks very different from the other movie .
It have also nice back ground sound to create interested image.
Its awesome movie.
When you come to a roadblock, take a detour.
cavinsmither
Law Clerk

Postby Carl Wonders » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:14 am

Clark,

I wonder if Debney's "generic" sound has to do with his composing abilities or he fact that a lot of his assignments have been awfully generic (I.e. cookie cutter rom com). If we get something a lot closer to CutThroat Island I'll be very happy (though I've never been able to shake the suspicion that David Arnold influenced a good bit of that score).
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Postby cdouglas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:52 am

Carl Wonders wrote:Clark,

I wonder if Debney's "generic" sound has to do with his composing abilities or he fact that a lot of his assignments have been awfully generic (I.e. cookie cutter rom com). If we get something a lot closer to CutThroat Island I'll be very happy (though I've never been able to shake the suspicion that David Arnold influenced a good bit of that score).

I think Debney is just generally pretty willing to follow temp tracks and write "sound-alike" music when that's what the director wants. When a director gives him the freedom to write a unique score, he can really deliver (Cutthroat Island, The Passion of the Christ, Dragonfly, The Stoning of Soraya M), but too often he seems content to just accept a paycheck and go through the motions.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Stela » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 am

Very nice movie by John Debney....:)
Stela
Stela
Law Clerk

Postby Carl Wonders » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

I don't know...I'm afraid it scored a big "meh" from me. Maybe hearing it on CD will change my mind, but nothing really stood out for me. Though it was definitely better than the first movie (not hard to do).
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema