Star Trek III

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Star Trek III

Postby Carl Wonders » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 am

I know this hasn't been covered on the show (yet?) but it's awfully quiet here unless you're looking to illegally copy music ;)

Does anyone else have the expanded Star Trek III score, and if so, what do you think of it? Personally, it was a really nice surprise because I had always written the score off as a simple variation of ST-II, but it's really quite good. I also didn't think the Blaster Beam made as many appearances as it does (whatever happened to that thing, anyway?). If anything, I'm really happy to get that little snippet of music from the Sunset on Genesis. III was actually the first Star Trek film I saw (weird, I know), and that cue made an impression on me from day 1.
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Re: Star Trek III

Postby cdouglas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for dropping by and giving the place a bit of life again, Carl. :-) I have the score, and will probably feature some of it on the next "New and Recent CD Releases" show. A listen to the expanded album definitely deepens my appreciation of the score, which I have admittedly often written off as "less of the same." The scores are certainly deeply intertwined, but lately I've begun to think that Horner's second outing is less a limp rehash than a more reflective response to the bombast of The Wrath of Khan.
cdouglas
Judge

Re: Star Trek III

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:13 pm

The "Stealing the Enterprise" cue is one of Horner's best pieces of his career. A 9 minute chase/suspense cue where he had to nail every moment perfectly to carry the film sequence and give energy to the starship theft in the movie.
Kevin
City Attorney

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema