Jonah Hex Review

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Jonah Hex Review

Postby Mach6 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:45 am

I just listened to the podcast & all I got to say is: Hey Clark, tell us how you really feel about Jonah Hex! That review ranks up there with your detailed dissection of Transformers ROTF from last year. Judging by most of the reviews, if it wasn't for Josh Brolin's performance, Hex would be in the Highlander 2/Battlefield Earth zone of epic badness. Who knows, maybe in 10 years, Hex's producers will copy Highlander 2's producers & release a "special edition" that will explain how it became this big mess.
Mach6
City Attorney

Re: Jonah Hex Review

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:14 am

:) Yeah, Brolin pretty much single-handedly prevents the movie from being worthless in every way. Part of me wants to think that a potentially decent film was just butchered in post-production, but I dunno. One think I'm fairly certain of is that there's a lot of footage out there that wound up on the cutting room floor. I'd definitely love a documentary of some sort detailing just how things went so badly, because it's clearly not as simple as, "the acting is bad, the script sucks and the direction is sloppy." Anyway, thanks for listening!
cdouglas
Judge

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 am

And it could be one of those cases where the movie an actor thinks he is going to be making turns out to a very different movie when actually finished. From everything I keep reading it sounds like there is a lot of material out there and that the studio didn't know what to do with the movie and butchered it in the edit.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:40 pm

There are still plenty of missing pieces, but this article provides a nice overview of what we know...
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/06/21/t ... t-wrecked/

While this older article suggests that Brolin somehow convinced himself that the "awful" script could be turned into something spectacular if the right people were involved...
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/11/20/j ... ex-or-not/
cdouglas
Judge

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema