Jerry Goldsmith episode

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Jerry Goldsmith episode

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Can't wait to hear this one, will listen to it tommorow. A quick question - I know he did a lot of scores but why not include something from Seconds? The score is one of the many memorable things from that film.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Jerry Goldsmith episode

Postby cdouglas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Can't wait to hear this one, will listen to it tommorow. A quick question - I know he did a lot of scores but why not include something from Seconds? The score is one of the many memorable things from that film.


I would have loved to. It's a great score. But when it comes to Goldsmith, there are so many options - he was churning out several scores a year for the duration of his long career. I also would have loved to include stuff from Papillon and The Blue Max and Hoosiers and The Traveling Executioner and The Omen and The Wild Rovers and Patton and... well, it goes on and on. But I promise to include Seconds the next time I have an opportunity.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Jerry Goldsmith episode

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:45 am

cdouglas wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Can't wait to hear this one, will listen to it tommorow. A quick question - I know he did a lot of scores but why not include something from Seconds? The score is one of the many memorable things from that film.


I would have loved to. It's a great score. But when it comes to Goldsmith, there are so many options - he was churning out several scores a year for the duration of his long career. I also would have loved to include stuff from Papillon and The Blue Max and Hoosiers and The Traveling Executioner and The Omen and The Wild Rovers and Patton and... well, it goes on and on. But I promise to include Seconds the next time I have an opportunity.


I understand that it's hard to choose when a composer has done an icredible quantity of material, especially when it's varied stuff like Goldsmith did (unlike say.. Danny Elfamn who always sounds more or less the same). Looking at the credits for some composers makes you wonder how they could churn out that much stuff - Ennio Morriconne's list of scores is mind-boggling.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Jerry Goldsmith episode

Postby cdouglas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:I understand that it's hard to choose when a composer has done an icredible quantity of material, especially when it's varied stuff like Goldsmith did (unlike say.. Danny Elfamn who always sounds more or less the same). Looking at the credits for some composers makes you wonder how they could churn out that much stuff - Ennio Morriconne's list of scores is mind-boggling.


I have literally hundreds of Morricone scores in my collection, but I don't think it amounts to even half of his total output. I have no idea how he does it.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Jerry Goldsmith episode

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Just finished listening to the show. great stuff! My favorites were the selections from Mulan and Breakheart Pass. I wish you could have featured more music from Chinatown; but I guess you wanted to put emphasis on his lesser known work.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Jerry Goldsmith episode

Postby cdouglas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Just finished listening to the show. great stuff! My favorites were the selections from Mulan and Breakheart Pass. I wish you could have featured more music from Chinatown; but I guess you wanted to put emphasis on his lesser known work.


Really glad you dug Breakheart Pass - that's such a cool score, and so few people are familiar with it. I'm pretty sure that I did a more extensive Chinatown suite on one of the earlier shows, but I can't recall which one of the top of my head. Had to get that main theme in there, though, just because I wanted to include at least some of his more iconic, instantly recognizable stuff.
cdouglas
Judge
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am


Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests