Pop and rock episode

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Pop and rock episode

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for flling my request and for doing a very enjoyable show Clark!

I was surprised by the Elton John selection; it doesn't soud like his work at all. It's a bit too dramatic for my taste but still interesting. David Byrne's work on THe Last Emperor is recognizable thanks to the percussion and the beginning of the violin melody which sounds very ''Byrnian''. IMO Johnny Greenwood's music is the one that benefits the most from being divorced from the film - great stuff! The second part of Danny Elfman's selection is certainly more intersting than the beginning which is similar to a lot of his work. I think starting with Reznor's work was a bold move but it got me pumped! Ending with music from The Last Temptation Of Christ was perfect. One of the few soundtracks I own, beautiful music!

The fact that you featured music from a member of YES reminded me that Keith Emerson wrote the music for Dario Argento's Inferno. A side note on a musician you didn't feature : I was surprised to see how many scores Stewart Copeland had written, I only knew about Rumble Fish and Wall Street.

Thanks again, keep up the good work!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Pop and rock episode

Postby cdouglas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks, Gabriel!

Yeah, the Elton John score is intriguing - it's on the repetitive side (there's not a lot of variety beyond the cues I played), but he's not bad at it. There Will Be Blood is probably my favorite of the scores I featured on this one, though I'm also a sucker for Last Temptation of Christ and Pleasantville. And yeah, Stewart Copeland stays pretty busy - his IMDb page is quite a grab-bag of curiosities.
cdouglas
Judge

Re: Pop and rock episode

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 am

cdouglas wrote:There Will Be Blood is probably my favorite of the scores I featured on this one, though I'm also a sucker for Last Temptation of Christ

Besides those two I also really enojoed the selections from About A Boy and The Last Emperor. Is the rest of the About A Boy soundtrack has interesting as the cue you played? The selection from Pleasantville didn't do much for me but I generally don't care for Randy Newman; he does nice music but it's just not too my taste.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema