Older podcasts

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Older podcasts

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey Clark! Your two most recent show made me want to go back and listen to the casts I haven't listened (most of them ;-) ) Today I listened to the Stephen King podcast which was pretty interesting. My favorite selection was Elliott Goldenthal's work for Pet Semetary. Now I like that film more than most people do but the music still stands ou as better than the film, so creepy! I also really liked Danny Elfman's uncharacteristic selection and Mark Isham's work on The Mist. I know you had a lot of films to choose from but why nothing from Lygeti's score for The Shining which is both creepy and instantly recognizable? I really enjoyed Miracle At St.Anna finding few faults with it. It's definitely ambitious and I'm not sure that all the parts fit perfectly together but it worked perfectly for me.

Until the next one!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Older podcasts

Postby cdouglas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks, Gabriel! Hope you're enjoying your trip through the archives. Goldenthal's such a fascinating composer; it's a shame he doesn't work more often. As for The Shining - in general, I've tried to focus on original score material rather than pre-existing stuff, and though the Lygeti music is fantastic (also love the way his material was employed in 2001), it wasn't actually written for the film. However, I'm actually in the process of changing my self-imposed rules on pre-existing stuff, as you'll hear on tomorrow's podcast.

I've been thinking about Miracle at St. Anna lately and wondering whether I should give it another shot. It has a lot of admirable qualities, but it didn't quite work for me the first time around. The only thing holding me back is the considerable running time.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 pm

cdouglas wrote:Thanks, Gabriel! Hope you're enjoying your trip through the archives. Goldenthal's such a fascinating composer; it's a shame he doesn't work more often. As for The Shining - in general, I've tried to focus on original score material rather than pre-existing stuff, and though the Lygeti music is fantastic (also love the way his material was employed in 2001), it wasn't actually written for the film. However, I'm actually in the process of changing my self-imposed rules on pre-existing stuff, as you'll hear on tomorrow's podcast.

I've been thinking about Miracle at St. Anna lately and wondering whether I should give it another shot. It has a lot of admirable qualities, but it didn't quite work for me the first time around. The only thing holding me back is the considerable running time.

Agreed about Goldenthal, that's one of my favorite shows so far. As for The Shining you could have used some of Wendy Carlos' music then. ;-) One of the many components of Kubrick's genius was how great he was at choosing pre-existing music and fitting it to his films. How many people associate the opening of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra with 2001? Ligeti's music seems to have been made just for The Shining.

Most critics seem to agree with you about Miracle at St.Anna. Maybe I'm just more aligned with Spike Lee's style and themes than most. I even think Girl 6 and She Hate Me aren't that bad...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Listened to the show centering on the guitar, I should have noted my favorites in order to share them with you. Really enjoyed that one. Also listened to the inaugural Oliver Stone podcast. Top three selections : Nixon, Salvador, Heaven An Earth. This show makes me want to seek out more soundtracks.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:42 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Listened to the show centering on the guitar, I should have noted my favorites in order to share them with you. Really enjoyed that one. Also listened to the inaugural Oliver Stone podcast. Top three selections : Nixon, Salvador, Heaven An Earth. This show makes me want to seek out more soundtracks.

That's the ultimate goal. :) And yeah, those three scores you've named might be my favorites from that show, too. Particularly love Salvador.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Is it just me or is that Nixon theme somewhat reminescent of the Imperial March from Star Wars?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:41 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Is it just me or is that Nixon theme somewhat reminescent of the Imperial March from Star Wars?

Oh, very much so. I doubt that's a coincidence.
cdouglas
Judge

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema