Howard Shore/David Cronenberg

Join Judge Clark Douglas as he explores the musical side of film courtesy of the world's finest composers.

Howard Shore/David Cronenberg

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

The score to Naked Lunch is pure genius! It makes a really nice contrast with the selection from M.Butterfly. I'd forgotten how nice the music for it was. Makes me want to rewatch it. Didn't have time to do it for the podcast. IMO the music from Eastern Promises is better than the movie. Those three as well as the selections from Scanners, The Fly, Spider and A Dangerous Methods are the most distinctive.

I liked how the piano was a motif in his most ''psychological'' flicks: Spider and A Dangerous Method.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Howard Shore/David Cronenberg

Postby cdouglas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:41 am

Naked Lunch is definitely an ambitious score. It really gives that movie quite a kick. And yeah, Shore's music for Cronenberg films tends not to draw too much attention to itself, but M. Butterfly leans pretty heavily on it. One I'm particularly fond of is A History of Violence, but it's hard to really tackle the brilliance of that score without featuring a lot of it and offering some detailed info on what it's trying to do.
cdouglas
Judge

Return to The Sounds and Sights of Cinema