Game Remakes

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Game Remakes

Postby mavrach » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 pm

I came across a review for the new Turtles in Time: Re-Shelled, which is of course a remake of the old arcade beat-em-up. It looks like a graphical update of the original game. But the review said that we'd probably be bored of it in a short time, and that it was nothing new.

But isn't that the point of remaking an old game? If they change too much, add in "modern" gameplay elements, and do anything besides supe-up the graphics, wouldn't that be the same as just making a new game? I can't take it as a negative if a remake of an old game (or any old game itself) is criticized for being outdated. In this case, I remember Turtles in Time as being a fun and simple beat-em-up. If I reminisce about playing that game, I know what to expect, so why would I expect God of War-type combat or something?

How do you all feel about these? We've all been dying for a remake of Final Fantasy VII, but I don't think anybody would want anything different than a graphical update. If they added characters, plot points, dungeons, puzzles, abilities, enemies, bosses, etc., it wouldn't be the same game would it?

I like the HD-remixes that I've seen around lately, being an owner of Street Fighter II & Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD remixes. They just take the original game and redo it with higher-end graphics.

I'm suprised they don't do this with first-person shooters. I mean they could remake any older FPS with later engine. I'm suprised we never saw Half Life redone with the Half Life 2 engine. I'd love to see something like Thief redone with a modern FPS engine. That was a brilliant game, but going back to it, it's next to unplayable because of the terrible dated early 3D graphics.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Game Remakes

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:21 am

mavrach wrote:
I'm suprised they don't do this with first-person shooters. I mean they could remake any older FPS with later engine. I'm suprised we never saw Half Life redone with the Half Life 2 engine. I'd love to see something like Thief redone with a modern FPS engine. That was a brilliant game, but going back to it, it's next to unplayable because of the terrible dated early 3D graphics.

You mean something like Half Life: Source? :)

Seriously though, the issue is really with the source material. Turtles in Time was a pretty generic arcade brawler, and it lacked many of the finer details of brawlers like Final Fight or Streets of Rage. The TMNT arcade games were essentially mindless button mashers with little that could actually be done to defend yourself or actually avoid taking damage. They were aggressive wars of attrition designed to suck quarters. There are amazing remakes out there, Street Fighter HD of course, as well as Bionic Commando: Rearmed, which actually smokes the original with some fantastic gameplay improvements that brings the game into the 21st century. Then there's Prince of Persia, which was a pretty fantastic port of the original 80's Prince with the graphical engine used for 'Sands of Time', and with some additions to the game design to improve on things like combat.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Maybe I should check out Half Life: Source then heh. At least somebody thinks as I do!
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:06 pm

mavrach wrote:Maybe I should check out Half Life: Source then heh. At least somebody thinks as I do!

It was ok - didn't look drastically better, but it did look better.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby rairibure » Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 am

Yes that game really looks better than I expected. This could be a good game to try with friends. It would be better if it can be played on online mood.
rairibure
Law Clerk

Game Remakes

Postby dslava » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Ive made a game where I had my Step-Brother try to hack it and he failed miserably all because I used something like that. But keep in mind that no matter what protection methods you create people WILL
dslava
Law Clerk

Postby mavrach » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:42 pm

And I was just thinking there hasn't been any funny spam around here in a while...
mavrach
County Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!