PS3 as both a Blu-Ray player and gaming console?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

PS3 as both a Blu-Ray player and gaming console?

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 am

I'm still not really ready to buy one because of the lack of money but I'm intrigued to know if it wears faster if you use it as both. I've had my PS2 for about 3 years and have used it as both and it's starting to show, especially with films. Maybe I just need to have my lens cleaned, but still. If I dish the 300$ for the PS3 plus the cost of an HDTV I don't want to have to buy another Blu-Ray player...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: PS3 as both a Blu-Ray player and gaming console?

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:02 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:I'm still not really ready to buy one because of the lack of money but I'm intrigued to know if it wears faster if you use it as both. I've had my PS2 for about 3 years and have used it as both and it's starting to show, especially with films. Maybe I just need to have my lens cleaned, but still. If I dish the 300$ for the PS3 plus the cost of an HDTV I don't want to have to buy another Blu-Ray player...

With the PS2. The biggest problem was often the lack of any kind of error correction function. Any nick, scratch, grain of dust etc would often derail the player. The PS3 on the other hand was pretty much designed from the ground up to function as both a game console and a blu-ray player. I can't say that I haven't heard of instances where the PS3 gives up the ghost and tanks out (Our own Dave Johnson has lost two i believe), but it is a solid blu-ray player, and using it for one or the other or both doesn't really impact the performance of the machine beyond the operation time. Electronics will die, it's just the nature of that particular beast, but my Launch PS3 is still going strong without so much as a hiccup. Keep it dust free, make sure there's plenty of room around it for heat to escape, and don't play Borderlands for 18 hours a day for three days straight, and you'll be fine.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: PS3 as both a Blu-Ray player and gaming console?

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Some advise laying the PS3 flat rather than standing it upright. That may help. We know computers can work either way and usually are fine but some people have found that the thermal paste oozes off the cpu over time. I'm not sure why or if it's a freak occurrence.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!