Deleted files help

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Deleted files help

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:33 am

I'm looking for a new job, but I seem to have have deleted my documents - including my résumé and some stuff I wrote. The résumé is easy enough to replace but my poems and short stories are harder. Is there anyway I could find these again even if I permanently deleted them? I really don't know what happened...
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 pm

http://ntfsundelete.com/

Give that a shot.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 pm

It seems to work fine but my files aren't there either. Maybe I forgot to transfer them when I got my laptop. Damn! I should have kept a physical copy of my writings.. I sent them to a few people by e-mail and am asking around to see if anyone's kept them.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:It seems to work fine but my files aren't there either. Maybe I forgot to transfer them when I got my laptop. Damn! I should have kept a physical copy of my writings.. I sent them to a few people by e-mail and am asking around to see if anyone's kept them.


If they were deleted a while ago there's a chance that your hard drive simply overwrote the space they were contained in. When you delete, you are simply re-indexing populated space as being empty, so the computer just overwrites it. The old content remains until it is overwritten. With enough hard drive activity, that could happen pretty quickly.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah that's probaly what happened. I haven't looked for these in a while and was surprised to see I couldn't find them. Damn my clumsy fingers and my lack of attention! I can't see how I would have intentionally deleted this.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Yeah that's probaly what happened. I haven't looked for these in a while and was surprised to see I couldn't find them. Damn my clumsy fingers and my lack of attention! I can't see how I would have intentionally deleted this.


Maybe you were having some manner of creative crisis and subconsciously wiped the slate clean?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:43 pm

It might have been a Freudian slip, but I somehow doubt it. This was collection of the completed stuff I'd been writing since I was 15 or so, including a longer poem which I wrote over a one year period. On the other hand, on around 15-20 texts, there were about 5 of which I was really proud. This is probably just another case of me not looking at what I was doing - I've been sorry before - I'll get over it... Anyways now I feel as I'm accumulating experience and ideas in order to write something really substantial which will include themes I've talked about before. If I don't find them again I'll do as you say and see it as a way to start fresh - maybe i'll find a way to incorporate imagery that was contained in those ''lost'' texts when I write my ''big french-canadian novel'' ;-)
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:It might have been a Freudian slip, but I somehow doubt it. This was collection of the completed stuff I'd been writing since I was 15 or so, including a longer poem which I wrote over a one year period. On the other hand, on around 15-20 texts, there were about 5 of which I was really proud. This is probably just another case of me not looking at what I was doing - I've been sorry before - I'll get over it... Anyways now I feel as I'm accumulating experience and ideas in order to write something really substantial which will include themes I've talked about before. If I don't find them again I'll do as you say and see it as a way to start fresh - maybe i'll find a way to incorporate imagery that was contained in those ''lost'' texts when I write my ''big french-canadian novel'' ;-)


I've been writing the big Atlantic Canadian novel for about 17 years now. I write a word a day.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I've been writing the big Atlantic Canadian novel for about 17 years now. I write a word a day.


Roghly calculated (without leap years) - that's 6205 words in 17 years - good luck with that ;-)
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Deleted files help

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm

WOOT - I'd sent them to my favorite cousin and she had kept them. All is well that ends well.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec


Return to Blast Processing!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron