BLAST PROCESSING! Episode 78

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

BLAST PROCESSING! Episode 78

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:46 am

BLAST PROCESSING: Episode 78 - You are not E

Join Adam, Jon and Steve for a very special episode as we celebrate the 15th birthday of Sony’s little grey video game thingamajig. The boys get nostalgic, sharing their early experiences with the PSX, and how it affected their gaming habits. You may learn something new from our “15 facts about Playstation”, or not. We close it all out when each of the boys chooses their favorite game of the Playstation era.

Enjoy this heartfelt look back at the history and the life of the system that some feel revolutionized gaming, and legitimized the passion of playing games as more than just kid’s stuff.

When did you get your PSX? What was your favorite game on the machine? Do you feel that Sony’s creation truly changed the face of gaming? Share in the comments below, over in the DVD Verdict Jury Room forums, or by emailing feedback@pixelverdict.com.

Blast Processing theme song by Dan “String Vulture” Moore.

Click to Listen!

So guys, What were your favorite PSOne games?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: BLAST PROCESSING! Episode 78

Postby LarryLockyer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:47 am

Legend of Dragoon!
LarryLockyer
Paralegal

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Blood Omen : Legacy of Kain

Parasite Eve

Dead Or Alive

I Haven't played much else.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Mach6 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:51 am

Better to answer this before the year is over. (I admit I’ve been lazy. Damn, my stupid job! I long for the days when I was an unemployed bum.)

I don’t have a perfect memory but I do know that I bought my first Playstation sometime in the summer of 96’; it was after the Bulls had won their 4th NBA Championship (the 1st in the “Dennis Rodman Era”). At that time, Electronic Gaming Monthly was basically my bible to video game purchasing decisions so with all the great reviews & “awards” the PSX & its’ games were getting, I went with Sony. It was a really easy decision since I had lost my Sega faith with the Sega CD & 32X disasters, so I had little to no desire to buy a Sega Saturn.

Once I put the demo disc (it had Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Loaded, & a few other games) in, it was a shock to play in legit 3D worlds. It was amazing to have so much space & free will & not be limited to backgrounds or walls in the majority of 8-16 Bit games. Like it or not, the PSX made 3D games & polygons the standard. The PSX definitely made gaming more than kids stuff with more mature & violent games. While Sega & Nintendo were giving us kid-friendly heroes like Sonic, Mario, & Kirby, Sony had games like Resident Evil & Twisted Metal that would never be made into Saturday morning cartoons.

The only major problem I had with it was the same one everyone else had. After a year, I had to turn the damn thing upside down to read the discs. A year later it conked out on me in 98’ so I had to buy another one. Then, the 2nd one conked out in early 2001 so I bought the slim PSone model that amazingly still works after I tested it a week ago(!).

Favorite PSX Games

6. Destruction Derby 2 – A guilty pleasure. Before the Burnout games, this was the game to smash & crash into other cars without weapons.
5. Gran Turismo – It stared the realistic driving genre & still has one of my favorite video game soundtracks.
4. Tekken 3 - I couldn’t believe the PSX could produce an almost perfect translation of the Arcade or the cut scenes in between & after the fights.
3. Madden ‘98 – The last great Madden game for the PSX. I hated it when EA went the 3D polygon route with the later games. I tried Madden ’99 & absolutely hated the controls & how slow it was. I don’t know if EA felt pressured by the NFL Gameday series but the PSX couldn’t handle a realistic 3D football game.
2. Metal Gear Solid – Who wasn’t freaked out the 1st time when Psycho Mantis took over your controller? There just isn’t enough room to describe all the awesome moments in this game. I just could never tap the buttons quickly enough in the torture scene to get the Meryl ending.
1. Twisted Metal 2 – MGS is the better game, but I don’t know how many hours/days I spent trying to beat this game with every vehicle. I always made sure to destroy the Eiffel Tower every time.

Honorable mentions: WWF Smackdown 2, Street Fighter Collection 1, Street Fighter Alpha 3, NFL Blitz 2000
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:14 am

For me, the original Medal of Honor. Man, I stayed up way too late way too often with that one. But also a little known game called Urban Chaos. Kind of a pre-cursor to Grand Theft Auto in that you had free run across a city, except that you played a good guy in this one. Got pretty damn challenging towards the end too. But whackin people with baseball bats never gets old :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Attrage wrote:For me, the original Medal of Honor. Man, I stayed up way too late way too often with that one. But also a little known game called Urban Chaos. Kind of a pre-cursor to Grand Theft Auto in that you had free run across a city, except that you played a good guy in this one. Got pretty damn challenging towards the end too. But whackin people with baseball bats never gets old :)

I thought I was the only person alive who remembered Urban Chaos - Been hunting for a Dreamcast copy for a while now.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Attrage wrote:For me, the original Medal of Honor. Man, I stayed up way too late way too often with that one. But also a little known game called Urban Chaos. Kind of a pre-cursor to Grand Theft Auto in that you had free run across a city, except that you played a good guy in this one. Got pretty damn challenging towards the end too. But whackin people with baseball bats never gets old :)

I thought I was the only person alive who remembered Urban Chaos - Been hunting for a Dreamcast copy for a while now.

It was a cool game. I still have my PS1 copy and I whack it on every so often. The driving is a little clunky but man, that satisfying whump when you clock a guy with the baseball bat is just so sweeeeeet. I dont think I've ever seen another game capture that sound so nicely :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!