Better to answer this before the year is over. (I admit I’ve been lazy. Damn, my stupid job! I long for the days when I was an unemployed bum.)
I don’t have a perfect memory but I do know that I bought my first Playstation sometime in the summer of 96’; it was after the Bulls had won their 4th NBA Championship (the 1st in the “Dennis Rodman Era”). At that time, Electronic Gaming Monthly was basically my bible to video game purchasing decisions so with all the great reviews & “awards” the PSX & its’ games were getting, I went with Sony. It was a really easy decision since I had lost my Sega faith with the Sega CD & 32X disasters, so I had little to no desire to buy a Sega Saturn.
Once I put the demo disc (it had Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Loaded, & a few other games) in, it was a shock to play in legit 3D worlds. It was amazing to have so much space & free will & not be limited to backgrounds or walls in the majority of 8-16 Bit games. Like it or not, the PSX made 3D games & polygons the standard. The PSX definitely made gaming more than kids stuff with more mature & violent games. While Sega & Nintendo were giving us kid-friendly heroes like Sonic, Mario, & Kirby, Sony had games like Resident Evil & Twisted Metal that would never be made into Saturday morning cartoons.
The only major problem I had with it was the same one everyone else had. After a year, I had to turn the damn thing upside down to read the discs. A year later it conked out on me in 98’ so I had to buy another one. Then, the 2nd one conked out in early 2001 so I bought the slim PSone model that amazingly still works after I tested it a week ago(!).
Favorite PSX Games
6. Destruction Derby 2 – A guilty pleasure. Before the Burnout games, this was the game to smash & crash into other cars without weapons.
5. Gran Turismo – It stared the realistic driving genre & still has one of my favorite video game soundtracks.
4. Tekken 3 - I couldn’t believe the PSX could produce an almost perfect translation of the Arcade or the cut scenes in between & after the fights.
3. Madden ‘98 – The last great Madden game for the PSX. I hated it when EA went the 3D polygon route with the later games. I tried Madden ’99 & absolutely hated the controls & how slow it was. I don’t know if EA felt pressured by the NFL Gameday series but the PSX couldn’t handle a realistic 3D football game.
2. Metal Gear Solid – Who wasn’t freaked out the 1st time when Psycho Mantis took over your controller? There just isn’t enough room to describe all the awesome moments in this game. I just could never tap the buttons quickly enough in the torture scene to get the Meryl ending.
1. Twisted Metal 2 – MGS is the better game, but I don’t know how many hours/days I spent trying to beat this game with every vehicle. I always made sure to destroy the Eiffel Tower every time.
Honorable mentions: WWF Smackdown 2, Street Fighter Collection 1, Street Fighter Alpha 3, NFL Blitz 2000