Underrated games

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Underrated games

Postby Attrage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:59 am

I’ll preface this by saying I’m primarily a PS3 gamer. What are your picks for underrated games? For me, it’s the latest Medal of Honor. I think it got a bit of flack for being the Medal of Honor franchise’s answer to Call of Duty Modern Warfare. To me, that’s a really unfair criticism. I admit I was quite sceptical going in, thinking it would be another one of Medal of Honor’s…ahem…”honourable” failures, like European Assault (which I enjoyed, but it’s buddy system left an awful lot to be desired and it’s checkpoint system was a freakin joke – you could not sit down to play it unless you were willing to spend at least an hour, often two, of solid running and gunning before you’d get an autosave). Anyway, back to Medal of Honor. It did not take long before I was absolutely blown away by this game. The absolute pinnacle came for me during a level called “Belly of the Beast”, which is the one that’s featured in the trailers that begins with an RPG taking down a troop-carrier helicopter. It ends with a desperate firefight between you, your three buddies, against hordes of “opposing forces” pouring down from hillsides all around you. When I had finished that level I was dumbstruck. Obviously a computer game cannot compare to actual combat, but I felt I had been as close as I’d ever want to come to it. The way the levels kind of overlap too, is so well done. You’ll kind of finish one level as a certain character, and then pick up the next level as another character on “overwatch” protecting the character you were just playing in the previous level. Awesome. My only complaint about the entire game is not really even a complaint: it was too damn short. Just when I had really settled into a groove and was really enjoying the game, the credits rolled. All I can do now is play it again, and hope that another instalment in the franchise is coming to a game store near me, soon!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: Underrated games

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Actually one of my favorite games of 2010 simply because of the AMAZING single player campaign. I felt the same way about Medal of Honor: Airborne a few years back. Great gameplay that felt entirely unique in the FPS market and it was glossed over (some press ignored its existence entirely this past year when the new MOH was released). After playing a game like Medal of Honor Battlefield: Bad Comp[any 1 and 2, or Killzone 2, where your central character has weight and physics applied (and Killzone 2 even applied the same principles to the varying weapons you carried), everything else just feels like you're a skateboard with a machine gun.

Sadly these games get lost in the social phenomenon that is Call of duty.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Actually one of my favorite games of 2010 simply because of the AMAZING single player campaign. I felt the same way about Medal of Honor: Airborne a few years back. Great gameplay that felt entirely unique in the FPS market and it was glossed over (some press ignored its existence entirely this past year when the new MOH was released). After playing a game like Medal of Honor Battlefield: Bad Comp[any 1 and 2, or Killzone 2, where your central character has weight and physics applied (and Killzone 2 even applied the same principles to the varying weapons you carried), everything else just feels like you're a skateboard with a machine gun.

Sadly these games get lost in the social phenomenon that is Call of duty.

I've always been a big fan of the Medal of Honor franchise. Airborne was in fact the reason I purchased a next-gen console (I actually bought the game about 6 months before the console!) and yeah...I won't go on about the new MoH but I totally agree with you, best single player campaign I've experienced in a while.
Speaking of the Call of Duty phenomenon, I'm really with you. I enjoyed Modern Warfare a lot, but aside from one or two great "moments" I felt that Modern Warfare 2 was a real letdown. I felt it totally catered for the multiplayer element and the single player campaign felt like a "tacked on" afterthought. And for me, the new Medal of Honor sh*ts all over CoD:Black Ops. Black Ops for me was a good game, but I found myself a bit "been there done that" with a lot of it, and people raving on about how great the story was? It had a cool twist and everything, but "great"? Please. Whereas level after level of the new Medal of Honor had me sitting back going "wow..." and feeling totally and completely immersed in the story and really attaching to the characters. Give me Rabbit and Deuce over Ghost and MacTavish anyday :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Steve T Power wrote: skateboard with a machine gun.

Haha. This reminded me of when I downloaded a free shareware of the old Wolfenstein 3D a few months ago and man oh man, how things have improved!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!