What's your weapon of choice?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

What's your weapon of choice?

Postby Attrage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Am I nuts for loving the M-1? In pretty much (hell, every) WWII-themed shooter I’ve ever played, my rifle of choice has always been the M-1 Garand. Am I crazy for loving this cumbersome beast of a rifle, complete with it’s ludicrous reload system of having to completely empty the 8-round clip before you can load another? Call me sentimental, but I like snapping off the last two rounds into the ground, hearing that satisfying ker-chink as the empty clip is ejected, and loading another full clip before I wade into the next firefight. Even in CoD World at War, when there are other rifles (the Gehwehr for one) that are just as accurate and also semi-auto like the M-1, I still steadfastly clung to my Garand through thick and thin, even when I watched that ammo counter click down into the red numbers when I was only halfway through a level (thankfully your buddies drop like flies in this game so you can pilfer their clips at regular intervals). The submachine guns have their place (in fact I’ll always take a Thompson over a shotgun for close-quarters trench warfare or storming buildings), but for me, nothing beats the Garand for long range stopping power.
What's your go-to gun?
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: What's your weapon of choice?

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Well, the Garand is often considered the finest rifle ever constructed by man. That .30-06 round was a monster, and accuracy was excellent for the style of rifle. Eons ago I range fired the thing, and after adjusting to the kick, it was actually pretty sweet.

In my dubbya-dubbya-eye-eye games I typically stick to the Garand and Thompson exclusively. I've never fired anything beyond a semi-automatic in real life, but I watched a retired American Infantryman fire a 50-round drum from the "police special" version (the Chicago Typewriter or Tommy gun) and his whole body was rippling with the kinetic energy comin' out of that thing. It was almost scary.

It's also DEFINITELY not as easy as they make it look in the movies or games. Something about live rounds having a LOT more kick than blanks.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: What's your weapon of choice?

Postby Attrage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Cool, oh yeah don’t get me wrong, I was referring to in-game use only. In addition to being a fanatical FPS fan, I am also a keen history buff, and from all I’ve read, American infantrymen pretty much universally loved the Garand (which I can understand, I mean in combat I reckon a choice between the Garand and the older bolt-actions was no choice at all!)
I know a lot of gamers prefer to ditch the given weapons early on and grab up a German rifle/submachine gun combo because of the ease with which you can pick up spare ammo from fallen enemies. However, I like to keep the experience as "real" as possible, and I have never read of any US infantrymen actually doing this (except in desperate circumstances), given that, particularly post-D Day, the US weapons were almost universally far superior to that of the people they were fighting.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!