What should I play next? (Backlog related)

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

What should I play next? (Backlog related)

Postby alexwagner » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Firstly really love the podcast. I tihnk my tastes match Jon & Steve's mostly but needed some help on what I should play next.

Games in my backlog that I own: Killzone 2, Mirror's Edge, DIrt 2, Condemned 1/2, Halo 3: ODST and Forza 3.

Games I have completed this generation:

Resident Evil 5 + DLC: Great game and with the addition of the DLC there is a large amount of content here. I think 'Desperate Escape' represents the pinnacle of the new action orientated style which I replayed countless times. Admirably falls a tad short of Resident Evil 4 though improved on it in some areas.

Alan Wake: Atmosphere though the stratosphere! Completed the game in two sittings but honestly I had no idea what was going on with the story...it totally lost me. Some of the best set pieces of this generation.

Silent Hill Homecoming: Flawed but it's obvious Double Helix tried their best. Devastatingly visceral combat, excellent voice acting and some great bosses.

Dead Space 1/2: My favorite new IP. The notoriously tough EDGE called it the "current standard for survival horror" which I no doubt agree with.

Uncharted 2: Over a year later I'm still replaying my favorite levels :D

Split Second: Ruined all other arcade racers for me! Buy it!
alexwagner
Paralegal

Re: What should I play next? (Backlog related)

Postby mavrach » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Welcome!

I've only played one of the games in your backlog: Mirror's Edge - It isn't the most nuanced game, but it's experimental and really tries to do something unique. That's an exceptional rarity in gaming, which generally just tries to redo everything all the time and doesn't take many risks in favor of existing formulas. It's got my respect and recommendation. I've been thinking of replaying this again too.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:51 am

Killzone 2 is just a fantastic, very pretty looking FPS. It really doesn't feel like anything else out there in the shooter camp, i even miss some of the control elements from it in Killzone 3.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dave Johnson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Mirror's Edge. The most underrated game of the generation.
Dave Johnson
Judge

Postby alexwagner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 pm

I tried Killzone 2 recently but it gives me massive motion sickness on my 50" Plasma. I played the Killzone 3 demo on my 24" TN LCD monitor and I didn't suffer any problems...was fantastic also. Well 2 votes for Mirror's Edge I'll give it a try!
alexwagner
Paralegal

Return to Blast Processing!