So, Nintendo's 3DS...

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

So, Nintendo's 3DS...

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:30 pm

... who's got or is getting one? I wasn't planning to buy one until better titles were available (the launch line-up is pretty weak and lacks a killer-app) but the demo kiosks at Gamestop and Best Buy (with "Pilotwings" and "Super Street Fighter IV") over the past week slowly turned me into a believer. I gave my DS Lite to poor relatives in El Salvador a couple of years ago with half my DS games (and a good-sized chunk of my GBA collection: Metroid Zero, Mario Kart, etc.) but kept half-a-dozen DS games I couldn't part with. So, ironically, I want the 3DS mostly to future-proof my future portable Nintendo needs but primarily to replay the likes of "Resident Evil: DS" and "Ridge Racer DS."

So this morning I bought a black 3DS from Best Buy in midtown Manhattan (plenty of hardware available for non-reservers; Nintendo had 1.6 million units allocated for North America: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8310652) and a copy of "SSFIV." Since I never played or bought the 360/PS3 versions of Capcom's revamped fighting game it's like a new game to me. :D The game plays like a champ both in 3D (spectacular) and 2D (at 60fps with 3D turned off). I'm broke so I'll have to wait for the other show-off titles ("Rayman 3D," "Samurai Warriors," "Ridge Racer 3D," etc.) to come down in price. The built-in "Face Raiders" game on the 3DS alone will probably sell people with no interest in this system into getting one (it's wacky, simple and everything Sony's EyeToy games promise to be but never are) but damn Nintendo, why did you have to cheap-out on the 3D dual cameras? They're low-res and require TV studio lighting just to get a decent picture, which ultimately undermines the impact of the 3D-ish pictures. The 2GB built-in SD card is OK (you can replace with your own, transfer music, etc.) but wireless support is an odd duck; works one moment then it goes to s*** before being good again. I was reading reports online that original DS games looked awful and low-res because of the 3DS' higher-resolution screen... bulls***, DS games look incredible on this thing. They're not as big and impressive as they'd look on an XL DS system but they look about the same as they did on DS Lite systems. Battery is low though (less than three hours and it needs re-charging, which takes just as long to go back up to full) and, if you don't like black or blue, the launch colors for this system are pretty underwhelming. I picked black, like my men. :D

Overall, I'm satisfied with my 3DS and plan to give it a good workout when better, more-affordable and meatier games 3D come down the pike. The analog pad alone is a vast improvement over the usual D-pad (which is still there for those that need it), and reason-enough to get me to try and play "Super Mario DS" one more time. This is the first Nintendo system I've played that feels next-gen enough to, technologically, not be playing catch-up with its Nintendo console counterpart (although let's be honest, the 3DS is a kid's toy and cannot be measured against portable technological juggernauts like the iPad or Sony's next-gen portable).
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: So, Nintendo's 3DS...

Postby alexwagner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:33 am

I haven't owned a portable since the Gameboy Color but the 3DS intrigues me. I think I will wait on how well Resident Evil Revelations/Mercenaries are received. We know how much Capcom loves money so I imagine we will see both titles on the NGP also. Really though if by the end of the year it has a decent software line up I'll grab one!
alexwagner
Paralegal

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Played it for a half hour or so this past weekend - And was severely non-plussed. It felt more flimsy than the old DS-lite, looked like a Polly Pocket toy instead of cutting edge electronics, and the three games I tried all sucked (SF4 on that control pad SUCKS).

I will say, the 3D effect was surprisingly good, and taking 3D pictures was kind of fun.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 am

I suspect the 3d is something that will get old after a while though.

I'd have prefered that instead of using 3d with a fixed point screen they instead implemented it with motion tracking on a standard screen. The DSi was capable of that but as far as I know only one game used it. If you aren't familiar with it the game used the camera to change the perspective a little as your head moved. It's hard to describe but done correctly can produce amazing results without the problems inherent of 3d.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:00 am

I found this video that shows what I was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnB0AjHZkk

and this is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

On a normal screen you can do 3d with forced perspective. It doesn't pop out at you but it's preferable to the problems of glasses free 3d in my opinion. I think when people have the 3ds a while they'll find that having to hold it at the perfect sweet spot all the time will be problematic.

It's too bad arcades are dead because I could see a 3d arcade where they have the seats calibrated for you.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:06 am

I'm going to wait a little while to hear what people say about the 3DS long-term. I'm extremely skeptical of the 3D aspect. I don't like it in my movies because the technology isn't quite there, and early reports that the 3DS can only be played in 30-minute spurts before you get a headeache does not make this sound too hot. So basically I want to make sure this isn't Virtual Boy 2.

Plus I only got a DSi this past Christmas.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 am

Amazon has matched a Toys'r'Us promotion: Two 3DS games for $50 ($25 ea.); seriously thinking of getting "Rayman 3D" and "Ridge Racer 3D." With news that the 3DS only sold 400,000 units on its release week (after Nintendo shipped 1.6 million units to retailers) looks like stores are clogged with 3DS launch games/systems that aren't moving.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:06 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:Amazon has matched a Toys'r'Us promotion: Two 3DS games for $50 ($25 ea.); seriously thinking of getting "Rayman 3D" and "Ridge Racer 3D." With news that the 3DS only sold 400,000 units on its release week (after Nintendo shipped 1.6 million units to retailers) looks like stores are clogged with 3DS launch games/systems that aren't moving.

I just wanna say... "Called it!"
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Blast Processing!