PS3 Store - Apology Accepted?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

PS3 Store - Apology Accepted?

Postby mavrach » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm disappointed with Sony's "apology" in their Welcome Back Program in the Playstation Store. So you get a free month of Plus and 2 free games out of a preselected group of 5.

I got Plus, then it gives me a message that it will conveniently renew the service in 30 days and charge my credit card. And I of course scooped up my 2 free games, but can't help but notice that all of those games recently had a sequel released.

So is Sony really trying to squeeze money out of this? They're trying to build interest in the sequels and hope we won't turn off the renewal of the Plus service. And the free games I got off Plus expire in a month? What's the story with that?

I've been a big supporter of Sony even through the network fiasco, but this just comes off as greedy. A simple apology with a $30 credit to the account would've come off as more genuine.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: PS3 Store - Apology Accepted?

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Personally I think you just expected too much. They weren't obligated to give anyone anything.

First, there's the free movie rental. You missed the weekend perhaps but I think it will roll every weekend until the expiry. It's three movies every weekend but my understanding is you only choose one.

Second, Plus Service has always been Plus SERVICE. It's not a discount club or freebie program. You amass free stuff while you are a member hence the longer you've been a member the better the service. It's a great deal to some, not to others. The games don't exactly expire as much as they were never yours to begin with. They were part of the service. That was all disclosed clearly when the service began last year.

Third, the two free games are a nice touch in my book. Of course they aren't going to give you the newest of the new. Little Big Planet was a surprise actually since it still sells well. They can't just give you someone elses game also hence why it's Sony games offered up. It;s not even the games made by small studios and published by them, it's totally Sony owned games. Also if you have a PSP it's 4 free games.

Last, I don't see it as a money grab. I see it more as they had great momentum going and want to recapture that. I'm sure they hope you keep Plus and buy sequels. They also hope you LOVE Plus and the sequels and keep buying more. You want to enjoy what you spend money on also. That's the way the world works. This seems simply like Sony wants people who turned off their PS3 for the month to simply turn it back on and see if they still want to be a part of it. If you do, good. If not, well you got some nice parting gifts and can move happily on to whatever else makes time pass a little easier.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: PS3 Store - Apology Accepted?

Postby The Butcher » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Perfectly content with my free shit...got 2 really good games (wipeout and infamous) and then got braid for $3 with PS+...I've already set my subscription to cancel. 70+ million subs x $30 would cost way too much, in the end it was a drag I couldn't get online for 3 weeks, but really, that was about it.
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!