Duke Nukem anyone?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:28 am

I've been told my copy will arrive Tuesday morning.

First off, I'm disappointed already. When I pre-ordered Ghostbusters Dan Akroyd called me and gave a lengthy speech about the paranormal. When I pre-ordered Super Mario Wii, Mario called me and gave a nice speil about remembering to pay for the game before trying to leave the store with it. With Duke they had someone do a silly girly voice. Why not have Duke make the calls. Come on people, we've been waiting 10 years now so we deserve some respect.

Ok, rant aside who ordered it, plans to rent it, or just skip it. I'm not huge into FPS's but one of the few ones I played was Duke on the PS1 )and computer). I doubt it'll be one I'll finish but I'm expecting some fun.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 am

Knowing the history, what Gearbox has done with it (basically finished the work started by 3D Realms - which was anywhere from 60 to 65 percent done when they shuttered) and how the major sites are all looking at it (horrid reviews from Joystiq, Eurogamer, and IGN) i'm staying the hell away until the price hits the $20 range, which is what it should have launched at anyway.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby alexwagner » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:44 am

I played the hell out of Duke Nukem 3D in my youth but as Steve said things don't look good. The various demo impression threads I've been reading have been unanimously bad.
User avatar
alexwagner
Paralegal
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:29 pm

The obvious question however is are they bad because the game is bad or because we've waited 14 years for it and nothing is 14 years good? With movie reviews I know Roger Ebert was always a fair judge. Game reviews seem to subjective. Let me rephrase that, I haven't found a reviewer anywhere close to my tastes.

Also being someone who generally doesn't like FPS it puts an odd spin on. Give me Halo or COD and I see a Gamestop trade in. The classic Duke I liked however for some reason. That probably means I'll either love this one or absolutely hate it with no in between.

edit---

Just to add this is why I don't trust reviews when it comes to games. I hardly even notice them actually

IGN wrote:5.5 Gameplay
The shooting parts are good, simple fun. Everything else is unnecessary.


That right there sums up where we differ. The reviewer wants Halo. He wants an online FPS to shoot mindlessly at his friends. I want a single player that is fun and has a good story mode. His unnecessary is my entire game. However, I'll find out tomorrow.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:The obvious question however is are they bad because the game is bad or because we've waited 14 years for it and nothing is 14 years good? With movie reviews I know Roger Ebert was always a fair judge. Game reviews seem to subjective. Let me rephrase that, I haven't found a reviewer anywhere close to my tastes.

Also being someone who generally doesn't like FPS it puts an odd spin on. Give me Halo or COD and I see a Gamestop trade in. The classic Duke I liked however for some reason. That probably means I'll either love this one or absolutely hate it with no in between.

edit---

Just to add this is why I don't trust reviews when it comes to games. I hardly even notice them actually

IGN wrote:5.5 Gameplay
The shooting parts are good, simple fun. Everything else is unnecessary.


That right there sums up where we differ. The reviewer wants Halo. He wants an online FPS to shoot mindlessly at his friends. I want a single player that is fun and has a good story mode. His unnecessary is my entire game. However, I'll find out tomorrow.


That's just IGN being sloppy, lazy, contradictory IGN. For me the shooty bits look horribly antiquated, the animations are laughably bad, the weapons are tame, and the game mechanics look like something that should have come out in 2001. Serious Sam looks more competently executed, which is hilarious, as it's a low budget download title that initially started as a Duke rip-off.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby alexwagner » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 pm

If you've been gaming for long enough your gut instincts should be enough to sort the wheat from chaff! I do say though that giant-bomb are off too a great start. Those guys seem pretty sane and the 5 point scale is in my opinion the best.
User avatar
alexwagner
Paralegal
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby mavrach » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:40 am

This is a game I really want to like, but all reason tells me to hold off for the time being. I've only had a few brushes with the original game, which was great back then when it only had Doom and such to compete with, but gaming has grown a lot since then. I hope it's not just a generic FPS with a guy quoting movie lines. If it does pull off the style with decent gameplay, I'm in of course!
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Own it. Played it for about 90 minutes on Tuesday. Don't quite like it.

So far it's just not fun. I can deal with the clunky graphics, almost ignore the huge loads times, and dismiss the massive install onto the PS3 hard drive; but I have to enjoy the game to want to wade through all that. Tonight, I went back to inFamous2.
Avatars are cool.
User avatar
Eric Profancik
Judge
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:39 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby JoshRode » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Sad to hear. If you're going to come out with a sequel several years after the last, it really needs to be something special.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
User avatar
JoshRode
City Attorney
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby alexwagner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Due to their DNF review (3/10) eurogamer have now been blacklisted by 2K Games.

http://twitter.com/#!/tombramwell/status/81302961376071680
User avatar
alexwagner
Paralegal
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 pm

alexwagner wrote:Due to their DNF review (3/10) eurogamer have now been blacklisted by 2K Games.

http://twitter.com/#!/tombramwell/status/81302961376071680


Not according to 2k. The tweet in question was made by a publicity firm that has no control over such matters, and that publicity firm was let out of their contract because of it. We'll see what happens in the future however.

So far I think Duke Forever is exactly what it was destined to be. An update of the original. The graphics are good except for the girls oddly enough. They all look plasticy. The bosses, NPCs, and even Duke himself look fine.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby MyJuliet » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:13 pm

So far, it's just not fun. I can handle the heavy graphics, almost ignoring the huge load times, and fired a large-scale installation to the PS3 hard drive, but I want to enjoy the game, to wade through all.
MyJuliet
Law Clerk
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Eric Profancik » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 pm

MyJuliet wrote:So far, it's just not fun. I can handle the heavy graphics, almost ignoring the huge load times, and fired a large-scale installation to the PS3 hard drive, but I want to enjoy the game, to wade through all.

Is there an echo in here?
Avatars are cool.
User avatar
Eric Profancik
Judge
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:39 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:56 pm

That was a clever spammer. I didn't notice the link in the signature line until just now.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:31 pm

And Duke Nukem Forever still sucks - even after a colossal price drop. It's now 29.99 srp.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Well, I still enjoy it but I do think 29 is where it should have been. Then again I think most games are way overprices. I just got Bioshock 2. It's a good game (maybe great but I suck at FPS) but it's made even better since I only paid 9 dollars and some change for it new. If I paid 60 I'd likely be a little disappointed.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:45 am

I ended up selling it a few days after my initial post. I just couldn't stand it. I think I got $40 back from the $60 I paid. Could have been worse. Maybe the new Duke game will be better.
Avatars are cool.
User avatar
Eric Profancik
Judge
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:39 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 am

Eric Profancik wrote:I ended up selling it a few days after my initial post. I just couldn't stand it. I think I got $40 back from the $60 I paid. Could have been worse. Maybe the new Duke game will be better.


And correct me if i'm wrong - but you'd have felt a whole lot better about your purchase if you'd paid $20 originally. yes?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Duke Nukem anyone?

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Eric Profancik wrote:I ended up selling it a few days after my initial post. I just couldn't stand it. I think I got $40 back from the $60 I paid. Could have been worse. Maybe the new Duke game will be better.


And correct me if i'm wrong - but you'd have felt a whole lot better about your purchase if you'd paid $20 originally. yes?

Without a doubt.
Avatars are cool.
User avatar
Eric Profancik
Judge
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:39 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio


Return to Blast Processing!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest