E3 Thoughts...

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

E3 Thoughts...

Postby alexwagner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:16 am

Personally the conferences are most always underwhelming and this year was no exception so I keep my expectations in check. The best thing about E3 for me is the 10 minute + show floor demo's that filter out. IGN, G4TV, Gamespot etc have a tonne of fantastic ones up. IGN in particular have a sweet extended look at Arkham City that looks amazing.

http://youtu.be/dqi3QXYohSc?hd=1

My game of the show? Many of the journo's picked Uncharted or Bioshock Infinite and I'm guessing if I got to see the behind closed doors footage I imagine I would have picked one of those also. But based on what the public seen? I'm going with Far Cry 3. I can't for the life of me stop watching that gameplay demo. For those that haven't seen it here it is in the best quality I can find.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_far_cr ... 27_en.html
alexwagner
Paralegal

Re: E3 Thoughts...

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 am

I'm intrigued by Dead Island. It sounds like a game on the edge of greatness that could teeter either way. Some mechanics, like having to "seal" wounds, could be cool if done right. If not however they will ruin the game since you could spend 80 percent of your time looking in boxes for band aids. The head bobbing camera is another thing. If done conservatively I can see it drawing me in subconsciously but from the videos it looked more nausea inducing than anything else.

I think like some analysts do that Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot with the Wii U (or Wii HD). They keep making DS versions and have mostly gotten by with it due to being a partial monopoly. Will the Wii U fragment the audience like the PS2-3 did and damage both, again like ps2-3, or will it be a much needed upgrade. Also how will it handle Wii games? The current Wii does not upscale 480i games to 480p. If you have a next generation console that can't do that then you are toast. That's not even getting into the fact that Nintendo has no online profiles so games and histories are console locked. I purchased a few classics on a memory card and until they find a way for me to transfer them I'm staying put.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm

That was a concern of mine from the start about the Wii. Like it or hate it, it's controller is so unique that it won't be very adaptable for future generations. Most other games have an easy enough control scheme that you can port them over to pretty much anything, but not so with the Wii. Unless it's one of the games that ignored the Wiimote (like Donkey Kong Country Returns or New SMB), it won't get ported right. I feel that was about the N64 - maybe I just hate that console, but all the control ported over awkwardly, probably because the initial 3-limbs-required controller was akward.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Attrage » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:50 pm

alexwagner wrote:Personally the conferences are most always underwhelming and this year was no exception so I keep my expectations in check. The best thing about E3 for me is the 10 minute + show floor demo's that filter out. IGN, G4TV, Gamespot etc have a tonne of fantastic ones up. IGN in particular have a sweet extended look at Arkham City that looks amazing.

http://youtu.be/dqi3QXYohSc?hd=1

My game of the show? Many of the journo's picked Uncharted or Bioshock Infinite and I'm guessing if I got to see the behind closed doors footage I imagine I would have picked one of those also. But based on what the public seen? I'm going with Far Cry 3. I can't for the life of me stop watching that gameplay demo. For those that haven't seen it here it is in the best quality I can find.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_far_cr ... 27_en.html

Thankyou for posting that Alex. I personally am hanging out for Far Cry 3. Far Cry 2 is probably my favourite game of this generation. I've played through it like 7 times and still have fun, in fact I'm planning an 8th playthrough shortly. If Far Cry 3 is even as good as Far Cry 2 it'll be worth it. But from the looks of it, it's going to be even better. So bring on 2012 man!!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!