Playing? - September 2011

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Playing? - September 2011

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey gang, Kickin off the month in style. I've got two goodies to take home for the weekend:

Resistance 3 - Really enjoyed the first two, and the demo for this one did a good job of selling me. I figure this one will wind up on the shelf.

Dead Island - A bit of an unknown commodity really, outside of some really inventive trailers, I know it's open world (yay!), and has RPG elements (yay!), but it's made by the same guys who gave us the Call of Juarez series (Nay!) and is all about the zombies... (ehhhh). I'll chime in again after I crack the plastic, but right now it sits at "rental" status.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Playing? - September 2011

Postby alexwagner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 am

I've been on an absolute gaming tear lately! The past month for me has been all about falling in love with the arcade racer. I'm not sure any genre can compete in the fun stakes when it comes to a good arcade racer. Split Second, Blur and PGR4 are all essential purchases for racing fans. UK devs and the racing genre go together like peanut butter and jelly.

PGR4: Aged extremely well. Essential for arcade racing fans.
Blur: Absolute arcade racing perfection. Bizarre Creations went out with a bang!
Vanquish: One of the greatest third person shooters of all time. A must buy for anyone with a passing interest in the genre.
Skate 3: Only dipped my feet into this one but great fun so far. Adored the genre in the PS1 era not only THPS series but the massively unappreciated 'Grind Session' and Rockstar's 'Thrasher'
Darksiders: Yet to play ;-)
Dead To Rights Retribution: Not something I'd pay full price for but great fun. And since removing underrated/overrated from my lexicon 8) It's best said that it is much better than you've heard. Surprisingly polished and not visually ugly like the critics said. You can tell the devs had great fun with this one.
Red Dead Redemption: Sandbox games often fail to grab me. RDR though is the exception. I typically play in short 1-2 hour bursts and I'll surely be playing this one to the end.

As for your titles Steve I'm yet to play any of the Resistance series so be sure to post you're thoughts on the 3rd! Dead Island looks rough around the edges but I see potential. Must say the games difficulty looks tough 8)
alexwagner
Paralegal

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:50 am

alexwagner wrote:I've been on an absolute gaming tear lately! The past month for me has been all about falling in love with the arcade racer. I'm not sure any genre can compete in the fun stakes when it comes to a good arcade racer. Split Second, Blur and PGR4 are all essential purchases for racing fans. UK devs and the racing genre go together like peanut butter and jelly.

PGR4: Aged extremely well. Essential for arcade racing fans.

I was much more into the 3rd entry - the addition of Cycles really felt half assed and took a lot of heat away from an otherwise mechanically excellent racer for me.

Blur: Absolute arcade racing perfection. Bizarre Creations went out with a bang!

The idea of the weapons just completely tarnished this one for me. I've heard that crapola can be turned off - whatever exec at Activision that was responsible for that brilliant strategy needs a gut kick.

Vanquish: One of the greatest third person shooters of all time. A must buy for anyone with a passing interest in the genre.

Totally agree - epic bossfights, purdy pictures, rapid pace. A great mix of old and new school gaming.

Darksiders: Yet to play ;-)

This is one I loved.

Dead To Rights Retribution: Not something I'd pay full price for but great fun. And since removing underrated/overrated from my lexicon 8) It's best said that it is much better than you've heard. Surprisingly polished and not visually ugly like the critics said. You can tell the devs had great fun with this one.

Right there with ya. Loved that first police station level, had a solid action-movie like tale that wasn't too grim and Max Payne-ish. The first one on Xbox (best Richard Donner action flick-turned game ever!) is still the best one, but this was a ton of fun.

Red Dead Redemption: Sandbox games often fail to grab me. RDR though is the exception. I typically play in short 1-2 hour bursts and I'll surely be playing this one to the end.

One of the best games of this console generation. Just amazingly well executed on every level.

Haven't gotten to Dead Island yet, but Resistance 3 is pretty dang amazing.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby alexwagner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:09 pm

You cannot turn the weapons off Steve but if you like arcade racers you will love Blur. I also grabbed Wipeout HD of PSN so that's another title I'll try to get through. Pure is also another arcade racing classic. Many people were put off by the difficulty spike but once it clicks it's not hard at all. The secret is knowing how to tune the bikes. I won every event.

Six studios have emerged from the rubble that was the closures of Bizarre & Black Rock Studio so hopefully some arcade racing goodness is on the way. And yeah due to me loving the original DTR I couldn't ignore Retribution no matter what the critics said. We are not alone though Steve. On various game boards the typical "Underrated games' threads Retribution is always mentioned.
alexwagner
Paralegal

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:39 am

Fired up Dead Island last night and got a few hours of hands on. Not at all what I was expecting. It's much more of a hardcore open world Zombie Survivor RPG, with an emphasis on questing, leveling, and creative management of weapons. That combined with a drop in-drop out 4 player co-op scheme that seems brilliantly executed. The story is traditional Romero-style Zombie stuff, but the characters are actually pretty unique, the presentation is solid, but the tech is a little primitive and glitchy. I'm really digging how the whole thing is playing out thus far. went from rental to my collection shelf. Pleasant surprise indeed.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby alexwagner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:26 am

Good to hear I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it! I've committed to not buying another game until I finish the bunch of games I've purchased in the last month. The exception being Arkham Asylum before Arkham City is released.
alexwagner
Paralegal

Postby Attrage » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Hey gang, Kickin off the month in style. I've got two goodies to take home for the weekend:

Resistance 3 - Really enjoyed the first two, and the demo for this one did a good job of selling me. I figure this one will wind up on the shelf.

Dead Island - A bit of an unknown commodity really, outside of some really inventive trailers, I know it's open world (yay!), and has RPG elements (yay!), but it's made by the same guys who gave us the Call of Juarez series (Nay!) and is all about the zombies... (ehhhh). I'll chime in again after I crack the plastic, but right now it sits at "rental" status.

Hmm maybe I am the Aussie you after all, Steve. These two titles have just been released in Australia and I shall be playing both in the very near future...will be sure to post my thoughts once I have had a good go with em both.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Jon Mercer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:56 am

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine: Not for vegans. If you like third person shooters...and steak, you should probably give this a spin. I personally love the escewing of the gravel voiced Solid Snake sound-alike in favour of Mark Strong.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!