Any Wii Gamers Here?

Tackle the wild and wacky universe of video gaming with the Pixel Verdict team of Erich, Dave, Adam, Steve, Jon, and Tim.

Any Wii Gamers Here?

Postby mavrach » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:39 am

So it's not as powerful as the PS3 or Xbox360, 95% of the games are garbage, and they've chosen to market to non-gamers, but how many of us like our Wii's?

I've got the dozen or so games that are worth your time on the Wii. When they really try, Nintendo's first party stuff can be excellent. Super Mario Galaxy I & II (especially the second), Twilight Princess, & Punch-Out were excellent. Was I the only person who gave a crap about Donkey Kong Country Returns? Because that was a frenetically paced game that tested your reflexes while being super-creative.

And the Virtual Console is a treasure trove from your childhood. Most non-licensed games are available, so I've got a few dozen downloaded. Foolishly thinking that only graphics matterred, I'd sold off all my old NES & SNES games when I got the next big things, and this has been one of the only routes for me to recreate those collections.

Sure, I spend more time with the PS3, and deservedly so. But the Wii does get regular rotation.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Any Wii Gamers Here?

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:59 pm

I've had my Wii for years, I finally hooked the damn thing up to my big screen last fall for Zelda: Skyward Sword, and it is awesome.

Unfortunately I've not played another game that held my attention for more than 20 minutes, or otherwise used the motion controller worth a damn.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Donkey Kong and Mario actually convinced me to ditch the Wii. Both are excellent games but both also suffer from Nintendo's "broken" gameplay mechanic. They have levels that depend on such difficulty at often just one small part and then send you back to try again. It's the same thing they've been doing since the days of Super Mario 2. It's just a cheap cop out rather than making a game become more difficult in a natural curve.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:52 am

I haven't found that sort of difficulty. Mario & Donkey Kong (& Punch-Out too)are all reflex-based games that I felt gradually increased the difficulty, until the later levels which might eventually have you pulling your hair out. I thought they were consistently so in the later levels, not just one annoying part of an otherwise easy level.

Mario always did that at a sane pace, then "rewarded" you with a golden path of some sort, ridiculous optional levels that you could play at your own risk. Never did beat all of those on the SNES.

The motion controls...yeah that didn't work out so well. It's sadly amusing that some of the later games (again the aforementioned Punch-Out & Donkey Kong Returns) said to hell with that, just hold the Wiimote sideways and set gaming back 30 years controller-wise.

The Wii is good for simple games that you can play for spurts. It's lousy when it comes to, well, real games - with realism, storytelling, etc. You'll never find an Uncharted-type game that you play to find out what happens next. I could never play 120 hours on a Wii game like I did for Skyrim. But sometimes with the bigger games, I find them lacking the simpler, yet more intense pleasures of the insanity that only a cartoony platformer can hit you with. I think I'll hit up Donkey Kong Returns next.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:22 pm

The Donkey Kong level where you fly in a barrel is pretty early on. I recall a few Mario levels in world 2 that were very annoying and world 3 was a pain in the booty.

The classic controller is another issue I had. I should NEVER have to hold the wiimote sideways. That's why I have a classic controller after all.

Perhaps I just soured on the nintendo and am nit picking however.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Blast Processing!