Ambush Topics--5/8/2009

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

Ambush Topics--5/8/2009

Postby Dave Johnson » Thu May 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Thought it might be fun to barf out a sneak preview of the week's Filibuster Ambush Topics, see if you guys are thinking on the same wavelength as us. Tune in tomorrow to hear our slow-witted responses!

Mac--mad bombers

Mike S.--casting that just does not work

Mike R.--sudden appearance of crap CGI that undermines the viewing experience

Dave--scenes involving the removal of internal organs with someone's bare hands
Dave Johnson
Judge

Re: Ambush Topics--5/8/2009

Postby BrettCullum » Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm

"MAD BOMBERS"
Why am I thinking Dennis Hopper in SPEED?
There was a 1973 movie called THE MAD BOMBER.

"CASTING THAT DOES NOT WORK"
How long do you have for this segment?
AHH-norld as Mr. Freeze in BATMAN & ROBIN. Heck, just look at the whole movie for bad casting!

"SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF CRAP CGI"
LOST has been doing this a lot lately. Last night the submarine heading off the island looked RIDICULOUS.
DIE ANOTHER DAY had that whole surfboarding sequence where I felt like I should whip out a GameCube controller.
STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE with the "Guido shoots first" sequence was poorly rendered, when Han moves his head. Lame!
The entire climax of VAN HELSING was CGI crap nightmare!
Ang Lee's THE HULK and it's follow-up THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Again, I was reaching for a controller!

"SCENES INVOLVING REMOVING INTERNAL ORGANS WITH BARE HANDS"
How freaking long are you going to be on this INDIANA JONES kick? TEMPLE OF DOOM was fun, but I have heard about it ad nauseum from you Johnson. Move on!
My favorite was ANDY WARHOLS FRANKENSTEIN where Dr. Frankenstein removes organs with his bare hands and then does naughty things to them. He makes love to someone's liver and spleen!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby mavrach » Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 pm

-mad bombers
- Simon from Die Hard with a Vengeance. "I'm afraid that constitutes non-compliance. Goodbye."

-casting that just does not work
- Superman Returns - The need to appeal to a young audience sunk this for me. That coupled with the theme that this took place 5 years after the other movies took me out of it. So Lois Lane is now played by a 20-year old actress. So when she was 15 Supe knocked her up? If you're going to go so young, just pretend that it's another day in Metropolis and don't mention time.

-sudden appearance of crap CGI that undermines the viewing experience
- A lot from the 90's that wasn't extremely high budget. When CGI was the newest thing and everybody had to try it, regardless of whether or not it worked. Aside from Jurassic Park or T2, everything sticks out when it's CGI.

Even Buffy & Angel. You can forsee any human-to-vampire morph, because the shot always looks out of place for the effect. It's usually a sudden closeup that's slightly blurry too.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm

''Casting That Just Does Not Work''
Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist in The World Is Not Enough.

''sudden appearance of crap CGI that undermines the viewing experience''

I'm gonna go with The Mist. This really feels like a 50's movie and I think it would have benefitted from practicals.

''scenes involving the removal of internal organs with someone's bare hands''

In the epitome of gore that is Dead-Alive there's a guy who gets his whole ribcage removed by a zombie.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Boba Fett » Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 am

mad bombers: Basher Tar- Oceans Trilogy

casting that just does not work: Tim Olyphant- Live Free or Die Had

sudden appearance of crap CGI that undermines the viewing experience: That giant tick Anakin rode in Ep. II

scenes involving the removal of internal organs with someone's bare hands: Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (guy fighting Riki uses his own intestines as a strangling device)
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Return to The Friday Filibuster