Ambush Topics 6-26-2009

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

Ambush Topics 6-26-2009

Postby Dave Johnson » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Newly ripped. Play along at home!

Dave--Lamest special feature on a DVD

Mac--Take an exciting fictional character and give him or her a boring job

Erich--How would modern-day social networking affect a TV series/movie?
Dave Johnson
Judge

Re: Ambush Topics 6-26-2009

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Dave Johnson wrote:Newly ripped. Play along at home!

Lamest special feature - menus that make you play shitty games to access other features (Memento:SE, Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter)

Exciting Character with a boring job - Frank Langella's Skeletor from Masters of the Universe as a Wal-Mart greeter...

"Welcome to wal-mart... now... you... will.... SAVE MONEY!!!!!"

Social networking - no idea...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Dave Johnson wrote:Newly ripped. Play along at home!

Lamest special feature - Gotta hand it to the alien language track on Galaxy Quest

Take an exciting fictional character and give him or her a boring job - John Matrix as the mop guy "You said you'd clean me last." "I lied".

How would modern-day social networking affect a TV series/movie?- I can only guess that the intrigues in Columbo would get even more convoluted.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Lamest special feature - Gotta hand it to the alien language track on Galaxy Quest

I liked that. As a DVD feature, it was of course useless. But it continued the movie's lampooning of Star Trek. I bet somebody out there has created Klingon language tracks for the Trek movies, and if such a track were released on the DVD's, there would be fans watching it.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby cdouglas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:10 am

Newly ripped. Play along at home!

Dave--Lamest special feature on a DVD: Mine is very similar to Steve's. Slow-moving interactive menus that are vague about what each option will lead to: "Engage Secret Mission," "Dossier of Secret Activities," "Maintenance and Operations," and such crap. I'm mostly thinking of the James Bond films here, though it seems to happen a lot with sci-fi stuff. Also, Digital Copies.

Mac--Take an exciting fictional character and give him or her a boring job: Crazy Harry from The Muppet Show (the guy who was always blowing things up) as an accountant. "47 x 19, carry the 2, subtract the..." BOOM! "Dammit, Harry, now we have to start over."

Erich--How would modern-day social networking affect a TV series/movie?: I'm not sure, but Bruce Banner's Facebook status updates would always be the same. "Got angry and turned into the Hulk today. Beat up some people. Back 2 normal now. Whatever. Listening to sad piano music."
cdouglas
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:49 am

Lamest Special Feature on a DVD - Anything with TEXT biographies. I usually can't read the text well, and they are almost always badly written. I don't see much use for the anime habit of textless opening and closing sequences, but I suppose it could be cool if you like J-pop.

Give a fictional character boring job - Chewbacca as a groomer at PetSmart

Social Networking - Could have truly wreaked havoc with any slashers from the '80s! I'm imagining the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET kids Twittering in to the night to keep from sleeping. Basically could have ruined NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD as well since people would know more about the zombie attacks much faster.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Carl Wonders » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Lamest special feature on DVD - anytime they put the WHOLE DAMN SCRIPT on the disc. Do you really think people want to go through 120 pages one at a time with their remote?

Give an exciting fictional character a boring job - Jason Bourne as a medical lab technician, or no reason other than the image of seeing someone handing him a stool sample saying, "Look at this...look at what they make you give."

Social networking - Star Trek captain's logs become Tweets: "Cap'n's log, suppl: E'prise responded to a distress call l8r had battle w/ baddies, managed to get away while rescuing all hostages...w00t!"
Carl Wonders
Paralegal

Return to The Friday Filibuster