FlashForward

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

FlashForward

Postby mhansen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 pm

Seriously, Erich?! You are wrong. Just wrong.
I was on the edge of my seat covered in goosebumps the whole time!

Melissa
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Re: FlashForward

Postby erich » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:34 am

Hey, wow. I've never been called out on a message board before. Cool!

Sorry, Melissa. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Granted, I only watched one and a quarter episodes before bailing, but it got way too ridiculous way too quickly. As I said on Filibuster, the premise is cool but the dialogue and plot contrivances are weak weak weak.

For example (SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY), how exactly did they find the one guy who wasn't affected by the blackout after like five hours of searching surveillance cameras... in a huge crowd... at a baseball game? How did the world go back to near-normal a day or so after the blackout, when the first half of the pilot was all about the catastrophe burning a major city halfway to the ground? Why is homeland security so pissed about the FBI setting up a web site to gather intel? and most importantly, how the heck did the FBI manage to spend a million dollars on a web site in this day and age? They probably would have been better off using Facebook.

Nitpicks, I know, but that kind of stuff (coupled with my feeling no emotional connection to the characters) turned me off. Actually, the show gave me a real Heroes vibe right off the bat: cool concept, lackluster execution.

That said, I do hope for your sake that the show does well and that one day I'll be kicking myself for giving up on it so soon.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Postby mhansen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:07 am

Sure, whatever, but his daughter knew the name of the bad man. Creepy!
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Postby erich » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:46 am

Oh, see. I didn't watch that far. The last straw for me was that whole mouth-to-mouth with the guy who collapsed into the urinal.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Postby Eric Profancik » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 am

I'm enjoying it so far. It's way out there but so are a lot of other shows anymore. Fringe was weird but now with the whole Trek plotline going on it's hard to take seriously. But, still, I'm enjoying that too.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby mhansen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Ha, ha. Fancy's on my side. I win!

M
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:56 am

I just watched the pilot... I know, late to the game... I love my video iPod!

It did seem sorta silly. Really huge catastrophe, and then... everything is sorted out so quickly. We're talking over 800 planes crashed, no telling how many automobiles rammed, and explosions and fires everywhere. This would set the world on fire and on its ear! And they assigned only 3 FBI field agents in Los Angeles to a case where EVERYONE in the entire world passed out for two minutes? REALLY?!!? The death toll alone would be staggering. The survivors would be so freaked out... this would be armageddon in the making. And all we get is a comment from a babysitter "This is God punishing us!" I think that sentiment would be spreading much further.

But the leads are super attractive... and I do love a good mystery. But why compare it so hard to LOST? I don't see that other than PENNY is starring in it...

I am torn between wanting to scream at the silliness or get sucked in by the fun mystery.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby mhansen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Well, if you keep watching, you'll see that everything doesn't return to normal so quickly.
We are shown planes starting to fly again- very 9/11ish. The damage to planes, cars, and buildings is all around; and peoples boo-boos don't just disappear. There is a memorial service for agents that died in the blackout.
We are repeatedly shown all the death and destruction that happened that day.

Brett,
Come to the dark side! Get sucked in!
M
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Postby Daniel Kelly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm not really feeling it either. Any high profile entertainment that provides large roles for John Cho and Joseph Fiennes is worth a look, but the few episodes I've seen were pretty dull. The central idea is cool but the characters are all really generic , and if this thing gets stretched beyond a single season you know it's all going to come up Heroes. Still I’ve only seen bits and pieces so could be hideously misinformed!
Daniel Kelly
Law Clerk

Return to The Friday Filibuster