What the Hell were you thinking?

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

What the Hell were you thinking?

Postby Mach6 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Since Michael Stailey brought this topic up in the filibuster: What the Hell were you thinking?

That was my reaction every time I saw any of the ads & trailers for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's new movie The Tooth Fairy. I know Johnson wants to make PG flicks, but is this the best script he could find(?). Which executive thought kids would be rushing to the theaters (& dragging their parents in as well) to see The Rock in a tutu? Didn't anybody learn anything from the Hulk Hogan bomb Mr. Nanny?
Mach6
City Attorney

Re: What the Hell were you thinking?

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Eddie Murphy has had more of them than one man deserves.

A lot of times you hear writers pouting about how hard it is to get a script greenlit. They say things like "focus groups" and "one naysayer kills the project". I then see things like Duece Bigalow and I know they just didn't see the right people. Someone out there will make anything.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: What the Hell were you thinking?

Postby mavrach » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Broading the subject of the above-mentioned movies, I can't beleive anybody would think that any of these supposedly zany family movies would make any money. Yes, Kindergarden Cop did well 20 years ago, but that doesn't meant that you can keep turning action tough guys into "fish out of water" kids characters. I can't beleive The Pacifier or anything else of the sort gets made with any expectation of profit.

Same for just about anything with Robin Williams that he isn't trying to be serious in, which is just about more of the above category. RV, License to Wed?? His silly family stuff is almost never successful, and I can't beleive that he keeps getting these roles.

Christmas movies! When will the studios realize that in the past 40 years, the only memorable Christmas movies are the ones that are non-traditional: Christmas Vacation, Bad Santa, Die Hard, A Christmas Story. Yet every year we see more "hilarious" movies about people bickering with each other over Christmas before finally getting along in the end. But year after year, people keep going back to Die Hard.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Return to The Friday Filibuster