Inception: Levels Confusion

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

Inception: Levels Confusion

Postby Boba Fett » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 pm

I had the same problem as you guys did first time seeing the movie about who was creating the dream worlds.

Ellen Page's character was hired to design all three levels and teach them to individual dreamers.

First Level: Rainy World
The dreamer was the chemist, which is why he stayed behind with the bodies when they went one step deeper.

Second Level: Hotel World
The dreamer was Arthur, again he stays behind to defend the bodies.

Third Level: Snow Level
The dreamer was Eames.

Fourth Level: Limbo
The dreamer was Cobb, which is why he knew how to get out and quickly get to Saito.

Ellen Page was present in each to act as a guide if they got stuck. Only she and the dreamer were to know the individual level layouts, which is why when she mentions the shortcut in the Snow Level, Mal is able to get to the target so quickly. Cobb knows the shortcut and thusly, Mal does as well.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Re: Inception: Levels Confusion

Postby Dave Johnson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:44 am

I thought Fischer was the dreamer for the third level. Didn't they mention it before they went under, that they said they were going to have him break into his own subconscious? But you're right--she had taught Eames the shortcut...so it was Eames' world.
Dave Johnson
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:55 am

Dave Johnson wrote:I thought Fischer was the dreamer for the third level. Didn't they mention it before they went under, that they said they were going to have him break into his own subconscious? But you're right--she had taught Eames the shortcut...so it was Eames' world.

It was Fischer's dream. I got the impression that she'd told Eames about the shortcut just in case...that she felt that someone else on the team should know about it, but that someone couldn't be Dom.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Dave Johnson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:It was Fischer's dream. I got the impression that she'd told Eames about the shortcut just in case...that she felt that someone else on the team should know about it, but that someone couldn't be Dom.

Okay, maybe I'm not crazy then. In a quick shot of dialogue, Dom has mentioned that they had made FIscher think they were going into Tom Berenger's dream, then Eames said something like Fischer was going to break into his own subconscious? Right?

Looks like I need to watch the movie a third time!
Dave Johnson
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Dave Johnson wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:It was Fischer's dream. I got the impression that she'd told Eames about the shortcut just in case...that she felt that someone else on the team should know about it, but that someone couldn't be Dom.

Okay, maybe I'm not crazy then. In a quick shot of dialogue, Dom has mentioned that they had made FIscher think they were going into Tom Berenger's dream, then Eames said something like Fischer was going to break into his own subconscious? Right?

Exactly. Fischer thinks the Bond-style snow compound is a manifestation of Berenger's subconscious, when really it is his own. That's how they bamboozle him into opening the safe.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

No, the Snow Level is Eames' dream. There is no way it could be Fischer's because it was the same level Page's character designed. If it was Fischer's she'd never have known about the shortcut. Fischer subconscious filled in the details for the "incepted" idea, because he was tricked into thinking they were in Berenger's mind and that he was holding the secret.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:08 am

Boba Fett wrote:No, the Snow Level is Eames' dream. There is no way it could be Fischer's because it was the same level Page's character designed. If it was Fischer's she'd never have known about the shortcut. Fischer subconscious filled in the details for the "incepted" idea, because he was tricked into thinking they were in Berenger's mind and that he was holding the secret.

Yep. You're right. The third level is Eames' dream. Fischer believes it's Berenger's dream because Eames is disguised as Berenger.

The point is moot, though, because all of it is Dom's dream. Each of the characters is just a manifestation of his own subconscious, there to help him escape from Mal (read: the labyrinth of his own guilt). Or maybe not...or maybe...

Also, this entire conversation would be hilarious if read by someone who hasn't seen the movie.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Dave Johnson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:28 am

You guys should have stayed until the end of the credits, when the camera pulls back and reveals Chad Allen holding a snow globe. Blew my mind.
Dave Johnson
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm stuck between two interpretations:

1.) It is what it is. They were hired for "Inception" and Cobb overcoming his own issues was an added bonus.
2.) Fischer was part of the team put together in secret by Michael Caine to get Cobb to overcome his own issues.

Either way, I think the revelation that the opening horns (which are repeated at the proper moment in the movie) are "Non, Je Ne Regrete Rien" slowed down (signaling the kick is coming), which would make sense if Cobb was in limbo where time moves much more slowly.
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Return to The Friday Filibuster