Ambush Topics: Mancards Revoked

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

Ambush Topics: Mancards Revoked

Postby Mach6 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Spiderman/Peter Parker after Spiderman 3): For letting The Sandman easily escape scot-free, not only should he have his Mancard revoked, he should have his superhero license revoked permanently! Let's just play devil's advocate & accept that Peter has forgiven The Sandman for the murder (or at least in legal terms, manslaughter) of Uncle Ben, the Sandman still committed enough crimes that would've earned him a life in prison sentence. I'm no expert lawyer, but The Sandman committed theft, destruction of public & private property, assaulting police officers, became an accessory with Venom to the kidnapping of Mary Jane Watson (although given how whiney she became in SPM3, kidnapping her wasn't so bad), & attempted murder of Spiderman. After all that, the nuanced Sandman gives the old "I'm sorry & I'm not that bad of a guy sob" story & Parker just forgives him & lets him fly away.

What the hell were the scriptwriters & Raimi thinking? If they want Parker to forgive him for Uncle Ben, I can live with that since the Spiderman character isn't a killer, but they should've had him tell The Sandman that if he was truly sorry for all the bad things he did, then he should turn (or fly) himself to the closest police station immediately. They really made the Peter Parker character look like a total pansy there.
Mach6
City Attorney

Re: Ambush Topics: Mancards Revoked

Postby Boba Fett » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:06 am

The problem was "The Sandman" was stealing to pay medical bills for his dying daughter. When the studio forced Venom on Raimi and ultimately made him cut the film down, all references to that subplot was cut. The ending suffers because it makes no sense, as any mention of his reasons to Parker were axed as well, so it looks like Parker just forgives him for his past crime and forgets everything else he did in the meantime.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Return to The Friday Filibuster