Last Great rom-com

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

Last Great rom-com

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:24 pm

I'd have to go with Love,Actually although Knocked Up was pretty awesome as well.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Last Great rom-com

Postby Boba Fett » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:52 pm

"It's Complicated" was actually quite enjoyable.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Mach6 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 pm

I just saw 500 Days of Summer about a week ago & it lived up to the hype. It would've been in my top ten best for 2009. After Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performances in Summer & Inception, I'm about ready to forgive him for his horrible job as Cobra Commander in GI JOE: The Rise of Cobra.

I know this is off-topic, but the Filibuster crew was talking about inapproriate music in certain movie scenes, & the one that springs to my mind immediately is in Watchmen when 99 Red Balloons is playing during the Silk Spectre/Night Owl conversation at the diner. I know it's set in the 80's, but what's an upbeat & happy tune like that being played in a very gritty, cynical, & violent movie.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 pm

My problem with Knocked Up is that it showed people at their worst, more on the male side though. I'd prefer a romantic comedy didn't revolve as much on a person being an idiot, like most seem to.

I'd go all the way back to When Harry Met Sally for great although My Best Friends Wedding almost fits. It's not exactly romantic though.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:59 am

Mach6 wrote:I know this is off-topic, but the Filibuster crew was talking about inapproriate music in certain movie scenes, & the one that springs to my mind immediately is in Watchmen when 99 Red Balloons is playing during the Silk Spectre/Night Owl conversation at the diner. I know it's set in the 80's, but what's an upbeat & happy tune like that being played in a very gritty, cynical, & violent movie.

99 Luftballoons is about a world on the edge of nuclear armageddon. It juxtaposes the innocence of a child's plaything with the cynicism of weapons of mass destruction and reckless politicians. It may be incredibly annoying, but it's actually entirely appropriate to the subject-matter of the movie (and to the scene in which it appears).

And the last great rom-com was Shaun of the Dead.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Return to The Friday Filibuster