Impressive Special Effects (Sequences) in Lousy Movies

Verdict's longest running show runs down the latest in film, TV, and DVD, while challenging you to dig deep into the recesses of entertainment knowledge.

Impressive Special Effects (Sequences) in Lousy Movies

Postby Mach6 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 pm

When Judge Erich mentioned this Ambush Topic, these two immediately came to my mind.

Matrix Revolutions: In between all the metaphysical mumbo jumbo double talk, Neo’s final speech to a dying Trinity taking forever, & the lame ending, the battle inside the Dock was epic. The giant drill machines, thousands of Sentinels, the Dock itself, & Zion rebels with their mechs were very impressive CGI work. It’s the only reason I’ll pop in the DVD now & then. (This is coming from someone who thought the burly brawl & the highway chase in The Matrix Reloaded were highly overrated. The CGI Neo & the Agent Smith clones were easy to spot & the agents jumping on the cars in the chase weren’t exactly seamless.)

Twister: This is a clear case of “Titanic Syndrome”. Any scenes involving tornadoes (especially the F5 in the finale) =cool. The Twister effects have held up well & only the water “Sisters” look a little cheesy. The rest of the movie with the love triangle & the rival storm chasers with their CORPORATE SPONSERED EVIL Black Vans=Ugh! I respect Bill Paxton as much as the next geek, but damn was he given such horrible dialogue & put in lame situations. I didn’t know experienced storm chasers throw dirt in the air to find out where the next funnel cloud will touch down.
Mach6
City Attorney

Re: Impressive Special Effects (Sequences) in Lousy Movies

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 am

Which Star Wars movie was it that had Yoda fighting as a flea dancer? That was wrong on so many levels.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Which Star Wars movie was it that had Yoda fighting as a flea dancer? That was wrong on so many levels.

Attack Of The Clones
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Spencer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:14 pm

How about the plane crash in the otherwise fairly crappy Nic Cage movie "Knowing"...
Spencer
Law Clerk

Return to The Friday Filibuster